+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Quarter round - Match to the floor or the baseboard?

Quote Originally Posted by t_manero View Post
    (2) I never understood why round trim was necessary if the baseboard could be installed after floor was laid down. It makes for more horizontal surfaces to accumulate lint & dush, and keeps furniture further from the wall.
    If the floor is uneven, the baseboard will not conform leaving a gap at the low spots. The quarter-round is more flexible and therefore will be able to hide the gap under the baseboard. If you didn't want quarter-round, you'd have to scribe the baseboard to match the uneven floor.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 03-21-2013 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Edit: changed the word 'cope' to 'scribe'
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

he means scribe it to the uneven floor. coping is something else
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    he means scribe it to the uneven floor. coping is something else
    That's right.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.