+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quarter round - Match to the floor or the baseboard?

We just had the hardwood floors in our "new" home refinished and eventually I'm going to get around to putting the quarter round in to cover the expansion gap.

The floors are a natural finish red oak. It's slightly ambered from the finish, but it's very close to natural. The woodwork/baseboard is red oak as well, but its a light red-ish stain. Not a huge contrast, but enough that you can notice it. For the best appearance, do you think I should match the quarter round to the woodwork or to the floor?
    Last edited by BigBL87; 03-16-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Default Re: Quarter round - Match to the floor or the baseboard?

Personal preference, really. I usually match the floor unless otherwise specified by the designer or owner.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Personal preference, really. I usually match the floor unless otherwise specified by the designer or owner.
    Thanks (again! i.e. my first thread), wasn't sure how it would look with two different "colors" of wood. I love the old woodwork, but it would definitely be easier to choose if it was just white baseboard. I have a feeling I'll be on here ALOT in the years to come, first time homeowner and no handyman experience, haha.

Like said,personal preference,but I would match the baseboard.

match the baseboard not the floor.. 1/4 is part of the trim not the finished floor
    fire up the saw and make some dust

If it were me, I'd match the 1/4 to the base molding.

Count one more vote to match the base. Like jkirk said, it's part of the trim not the floor.

Make sure you fasten the 1/4-round to the base not the floor, so the floor will be able to expand and contract (float) without creating any gaps.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

One more vote from me to match the baseboard. Cleaner that way.

(1) I looked at my mine (1964 parquet & hardwood) and 1 other (1998 hardwood), and the round match the floor color ? What happened here ?

(2) I never understood why round trim was necessary if the baseboard could be installed after floor was laid down. It makes for more horizontal surfaces to accumulate lint & dush, and keeps furniture further from the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by t_manero View Post
    (1) I looked at my mine (1964 parquet & hardwood) and 1 other (1998 hardwood), and the round match the floor color ? What happened here ?

(2) I never understood why round trim was necessary if the baseboard could be installed after floor was laid down. It makes for more horizontal surfaces to accumulate lint & dush, and keeps furniture further from the wall.
    1. & 2. Nothing happened there...the use of a quarter round is strictly up to the homeowner or the installer. It helps hiding installation faults, miss cutting and miss alignment of planks, so it could match the baseboard or it could match the floor. Sometimes the installer puts down a baseboard that is too narrow to hide those imperfections and has no choice but to install a quarter round to make them disappear.