+ Reply to Thread

Default Need advice on replacing bathroom baseboard heat

I have electric baseboard heat and vinyl flooring in my bathroom. Condensation on the fins of the baseboard heater has caused rust which has dripped down and stained the vinyl floor under the heater.
    I plan to replace the flooring this Summer but it's no use unless I do something about the heater to prevent staining of the new flooring.
    Does anyone have any suggestions for a wall mounted heater that would work with the current thermostat? Something recessed between wall studs maybe? Or any other type of electric heating unit that would not drip rust on the floor? It's a small bathroom so any heater would have to be small.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by thevintagerobin; 03-16-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Default Re: Need advice on replacing bathroom baseboard heat

I have used a Marley R1500T2 in two of our bathrooms for supplemental heat. One was retrofit one new construction, both between the studs. We like them and cost was <$200 at electrical supply. Needs a 15A stand alone circuit. We have the built in thermostats but you would not need them.

There are also infrared style heaters available that are disguised behind mirrors. A quick google search for infrared mirror heater should give results for slim and stylish options.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Depending on what you are putting down on the floor, what about an electric radiant heat mat? Should hook up to the existing easily, and your toes will be warm when you come out on a tile floor.

Might also consider talking to a virtual handyman like the ones they have at ProperSee. I've found them to have pretty good out of the box suggestions, and worth short money it cost to talk to them.

Go for "Modern electric baseboards like the LPC Linear Convector Series can balance heating needs and energy conservation because they have sophisticated electronics for your bathroom.