+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Transition from bathroom to hallway

I've been going through my new (to me) home and installing transitions. The home was a foreclosure and it looks like alot of things were left half done, one of the major ones being alot of the doorways missing transitions. The one that has me stymied is the transition from the bathroom tile to the wood laminate in the hallway. The problem is that there is not much of a gap under the door because of the tile and concrete subfloor that was laid for the tile. The only transition I've found that will fit in the little space that's there is a metal carpet strip/transition. The problem with that aside from the appearance not being great is that it is a good 1/2 inch (slightly more actually) difference from the tile down to the laminate, and I haven't found a strip that is designed to go down that much. Every one I've looked at will only go down about half of that and not actually reach the laminate. I can take pictures later if it would help with understanding the situation.

Any ideas/help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I do consider planing the bottom of the door an option, but I'd prefer to avoid it if I could. The home has all of the original solid hardwood doors from when it was originally built and I'd like to avoid changing them if I can.
    Last edited by BigBL87; 03-15-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Default Re: Transition from bathroom to hallway

What you're looking for is a transition with a rabbet in the back to accept the tile and make up the difference in height to the wood. You may find a piece of wood flooring trim that will suffice, or you can make one or have one made. You may or may not need to trim the bottom of the door slightly to make room for it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Google 'floor reducer', and you will find dozens of choices.

Thanks. The Googling thing I've already done, and I haven't found anything that is quite what I'm looking for. Like I said, the main issue is the minimal gap under the door. Upon closer inspection, its actually just one side of the door that sits too low, the other side has just enough gap for a wooden transition. I'm not sure if its the door or the floor that's not level, but I'm thinking if I can figure out a way to level it out it might solve my problem. I already have a reducer that will fit the height and if I can get enough of a gap under the door I'm ****en.

I'd just trim a tad off the bottom of the door and be done with it. You shouldn't need much to get your clearance.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!