+ Reply to Thread

Question New Uneven plywood floor... Carpet or Laminate? Help!

Last year a new floor was put down but because of something that was done to the beams underneath the plywood isn't exactly even. There a small hump and they don't meet together exactly. I threw sticky square laminate down for temporary but really need to put something permanent down. Would carpeting disguise it better or could I put snap together laminate down? I've been looking at the wood look alike, maybe the foam underneath would help? I'm so confused because I'm such a rookie at all of this. Please help (a divorced mom on a tight budget, but have rich taste.

Default Re: New Uneven plywood floor... Carpet or Laminate? Help!

The seams, lumps and dips can be floated out with floor leveling compound. This will make them disappear under carpet, not the case with laminate/hardwood.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would look for a way to repair the plywood junction where they meet. Even go as far as remove the two plywood pieces to do it.

Why? because if the plywood is smooth, the finish floor is smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I would look for a way to repair the plywood junction where they meet. Even go as far as remove the two plywood pieces to do it.

Why? because if the plywood is smooth, the finish floor is smooth.
    It is my suspicion that the orientation of the plywood got flipped during installation, some pieces are right side up, some are upside down, causing the tongue and groove to misalign the surfaces of the two sheets.

If the plywood was not glued down, then flipping a sheet or two isn't going to be that big of a deal, if it's glued, then good luck.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The plywood is the right side up, but my husband who did the work learns as he goes (he remodeled his entire house by just trying) .... He realized afterwards that the cement blocks he put under the floor beams may not have been the smartest thing to do (the blocks sit directly on the ground)
    So now I'm dealing with the after affects, the ground shifted enough to move some of the plywood making the seams uneven (not all of the floor just the first half )

Will the floor leveling compound withstand the ground shifting and probably constantly slightly moving the plywood?

Quote Originally Posted by dakat8 View Post
    The plywood is the right side up, but my husband who did the work learns as he goes (he remodeled his entire house by just trying) .... He realized afterwards that the cement blocks he put under the floor beams may not have been the smartest thing to do (the blocks sit directly on the ground)
    So now I'm dealing with the after affects, the ground shifted enough to move some of the plywood making the seams uneven (not all of the floor just the first half )
    Cement blocks are supposed to be fastened to the beams, or they travel - like what happened here.

Quote Originally Posted by dakat8 View Post
    Will the floor leveling compound withstand the ground shifting and probably constantly slightly moving the plywood?
    A floor leveling compound will most likely crack with earth movements.