+ Reply to Thread

Default replacing new construction windows from the inside

recently i had a contractor to the house to give an estimate on vinyl siding, the first two floors of the house are aluminum, the 3rd is older vinyl. While he was there i mentioned i was thinking about doing the windows as well but at a later date because i could not afford both projects at the same time. He mentioned that my windows were new construction windows and so replacing them when the new siding goes up is the best way to do it. the current windows are double pain vinyl replacement windows but they bow toward the center of the window between the locks, the locks don't line up properly anymore, and the windows are drafty.
    Can these windows be replaced from the inside by removing the trim or do i have to take the aluminum trim off from the outside and replace them that way? I have not removed the inside trim due to the age of the wood itself.
    Kyle

Default Re: replacing new construction windows from the inside

Ideally, the order should be: windows first, exterior finish second.

I have to ask why that would be the better order to proceed in, because i really don't know myself. But assuming that I do not do the windows first, what are your thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by kcormier19 View Post
    I have to ask why that would be the better order to proceed in, because i really don't know myself. But assuming that I do not do the windows first, what are your thoughts on this?
    You're asking why? - because you have to apply flashing around the window frame to protect against water.

It's like: when you get dressed, do you put your pants first and underwear second?

considering that thousands of people replace windows without replacing their siding, i thought it was a logical question to ask about the order of replacement. In a perfect world that makes sense but my world is not perfect, same hold true for the house obviously.

There is a way to do it, if you go to a smaller sized vinyl window to fit in your existing frame. I don't like this option and one of the reasons is: window size must follow your local code. It depends on the size of the room. Sometimes, by reducing the size of the window you can be in violation of your local code.

Check it out.