+ Reply to Thread

Default Considering a gut to studs...

I'm having trouble finding a conclusive response to my situation, of course this is the internet and you'll find conflicting answers but I thought I'd throw this out there. My wife and I are considering removing the plaster and lathe from the first floor bedrooms and insulating and installing drywall.

About our house:
    1929, story and a half tudor style near the Minneapolis airport with stucco siding. The walls are currently "insulated" with horse hair and straw. I've heard plaster is a better noise insulator but this is Minnesota and I'd sacrifice noise for heat. We would use 5/8" drywall and probably the fiberglass insulation that comes in it's own vapor barrier.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Considering a gut to studs...

youll definitley get better insulation that way. horse hair and straw settles over time which leaves large voids.. if it werent for the stucco finish on the outside you could have drilled holes and gone with blown in insulation while leaving the plaster up
    fire up the saw and make some dust

That's my thought, drywall is about $7 a 4'x8' sheet, I think we'd need at the most four sheets to just do this outside wall. Any recommendations on insulation? Should we consider rigid insulation with fiberglass on top of it? Any concerns over doing a partial insulate job and not doing a complete vapor barrier?

considering your location, I would recommend looking at spray foam insulation, it will provide a higher R-value, solid vapor barrier, and superior noise suppression. It does have it's pros and cons, so do your research and make your decision from there. there are also "green" alternatives that are very similar to spray foam that may be more appealing.

A definite advantage to pulling the plaster will be the ability to upgrade electrical and plumbing. Be prepared, this is both a messy and invasive process, know this going in. You're looking at about two weeks if you have pros do the work, not including upgrades. If you do the work yourself, time will depend on your abilities and the amount of help you have with the project.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

better than fiberglass but not as good as spray foam, you should look into Roxul insulation. great for sound and thermal barrier, more expensive than fiberglass but alot less than spray foam. if you do opt for the spray foam, since you're only doing one room, you can save yourself alot of money by purchasing a "do it yourself" spray foam kit on-line.
    Last edited by MLB Construction; 03-14-2013 at 02:44 PM.

I'd rather use roxul than the DIY foam kits. My poor boss tried to save money by foaming his house with those kits, and got nowhere, wasted almost two grand. If you want foam, hire the job.
    When replacing plaster with drywall, plan backwards from where your finished wall surface is now, and shim the studs so the 5/8" rock ends up at the same level; this will save what can end up being a trim nightmare when you reinstall the old moldings. (You are going to save the old millwork, right?) You also need to correct for bowed studs, as the rock will conform to whatever is is applied to; the plaster was floated flat,no matter what the studs were doing.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    I'd rather use roxul than the DIY foam kits. My poor boss tried to save money by foaming his house with those kits, and got nowhere, wasted almost two grand.
    Spraying foam is definitely not a DIY project. Save yourself time and money, hire a pro to do it right if this is the route you decide to take.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Spraying foam is definitely not a DIY project. Save yourself time and money, hire a pro to do it right if this is the route you decide to take.
    i do agree with hiring the pros. i've used the DIY kit 4 times to date and i loved it. didn't have any problems. took me one stud bay to get the hang of it and i have a 24" blade for trimming the excess.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    i do agree with hiring the pros. i've used the DIY kit 4 times to date and i loved it. didn't have any problems. took me one stud bay to get the hang of it and i have a 24" blade for trimming the excess.
    Nobody likes a contrarian!