+ Reply to Thread

Default Pergo laminate vs. hardwood

My wife fell in love with a Pergo laminate flooring product. This would be for the 1st floor of our home. We installed hardwood on the 2nd story, but it's since been discontinued. I know it will affect resale, but she's pretty set on getting this flooring.

Question: Any major problems w/Pergo laminate flooring??

Default Re: Pergo laminate vs. hardwood

It issues with Pergo and Pergo-like products is that they are NOT durable, no matter what the sales people try to tell you. It cannot be refinished. It looks, feels, and sounds like cheap flooring.

If you're ok with those things, then install the Pergo and enjoy your new floor.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Ask yourself these simple questions: How long are you going to live in this house? Do you like the "feel" of real hardwood?

I've installed a lot of laminate, they are good for rentals, with reasonable life expectancy (not taking into consideration 'disasters') at fair price. But for my house I prefer hardwood.

I had about 300 sf of Pergo laminate in my previous Calif house (while the rest was 18" square Italian tile). The Pergo was basically plastic flooring with features like other plastic products.
    The Pergo also seem a little "noisy" when walking on them because it was less rigid when weight is applied (I had radiant heating which perhaps caused the Pergo to lift from the subfloor when expanding). Nicks & gouges are visible which requires a sharpie to conceal. Gouges deform the plastic & take on a bump shape.

Just ask your wife -- does she want a plastic floor product that simulates wood like the wood trim in cars ?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    It issues with Pergo and Pergo-like products is that they are NOT durable, no matter what the sales people try to tell you. It cannot be refinished.

Pretty much everything you need to know there.

Good hardwood can be refinished a dozen times or so and this can last 100, 150 or more years. Good laminate may last 10 or at the outside 15 years and will then have to be scrapped.

I hate to throw a wrench in the topic, but have you considered vinyl planks? You can get the huge variety of affordable patterns, it handles getting wet better, and you can replace one plank with a bit less hassle.

When I refinish my playroom/gameroom above my garage I will be choosing between laminate and vinyl plank.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.