+ Reply to Thread

Default Need to cut chain link fence posts

Heya folks. What tool is best to cut off vertically ribbed chain link fence posts? The brand of fence is Sears Armadillo. Thanks, M.

Default Re: Need to cut chain link fence posts

it's surprisingly easy to just pull them out of the ground, even if they're in concrete.

all you need is a mason's chisel and a 5 pound sledge hammer. i personally use a 4 foot steel pry bar. just start wacking away at the top of the cement and it will break away from the steel pole relatively easily. then you can slide the pole out by hand.

I too am in favor of pulling abandoned fence posts, but if you want/need to cut them, an abrasive blade in a circular saw or a sawzall will do the trick nicely. You could even use an angle grinder and cutting wheel or a hand powered hacksaw. Ultimately, it will be whatever you have available to you.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I agree with spruce and MLB, I like to pull unused posts out, so they are not in my way. It also looks better.

Thank you all! I did pull out two: but I pulled them out concrete and all, with the truck. Now they are too heavy for me to move. I will try whacking on the bases! best, Marnia

If you have a sledgehammer, it usually only takes a few well placed whacks to break those concrete cores into pieces, or at least enough to make the whole thing more manageable. Maybe get a neighbor to come heft the chunks into your garbage can.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!