+ Reply to Thread

Default Rain Cap for Plumbing Stack/Roof Vent

I am wondering if such a thing exists? We have a low pitch roof so hard attic access and after months of chasing a roof leak, it now appears it could be caused not by the flashing, but by a connection in our waste stack vent that when it rains hits this connection and drips gradually out just above our ceiling in an area of our attic we can't reach. The only way to fix this correctly would be a major mess involving either cutting a beam to access it from the attic or tearing out our bathroom ceiling so I wondered if I could instead fit a PVC/ABS 180 degree elbow on the top of the vent on our roof or if that would be super bad from a sewer gas standpoint. Currently, I have a soup can with a gutter screen holding it up a little so it will vent.

Default Re: Rain Cap for Plumbing Stack/Roof Vent

You can try an elbow on it. That won't affect the plumbing system. It may or may not cause sewer odors. I would give it a try until you can make a proper repair.

John

If you try what john says, don't glue the ell.

I just don't think that that's the cause of the leak.

I was going to use one of those black rubber clamp elbows since our plumbing vent is copper so glueing seemed like a bad idea. I just need to do something other then a soup can with duct tape. When you look down the pipe you can see a transition rib on the inside just about where our ceiling meets the attic so we are becoming more convinced this is the source of our leak. It is so tight in our attic with this snowload beam that you can't reach the pipe to do repairs with out creating a hole in our bathroom ceiling. Seemed simpler to put an elbow on the pipe or have something fabricated, but not sure what would be best from a plumbing stand point. Elbow or some sort of rain cap.

What you really need is vent stack flashing that you put on your roof. Here is a link to an example of what you need http://www.midlandhardware.com/1-14-...g_p_92039.html . This particular type of flashing says it doesn't need roof caulk but I would use it. Other types of flashing is made of metal and either will do well but I personally think the metal kind will work better. You probably will have to replace shingles too and definitely have to go on the roof to fix this. If you are uncomfortable going on the roof and don't think you should then I strongly suggest you hire a roofer. Good luck to you!

Will we just had a huge rain storm come through last week and even with a makeshift can cover on the plumbing vent it leaked so guess it isn't the inside nut so don't need to fix that or make a cover, but now back to square one with our roof leak. We have a snap loc metal roof, and the roofer has redid a couple panels, and a vent. I was really hoping it was the plumbing vent connection inside our attic, but it is something else. Just no obvious leak source visible in the attic so now I'll go back and post about roofing.

I suspected that the vent was not the source of the leak, as I mentioned in my first answer to your question.
    Call some roofers and maybe you'll get lucky and find one who can fix it.

Yes. Finding a roofer to fix this is the key. Wish I had one of those. Ha! Ha! Thanks for everyone's advice!