+ Reply to Thread

Default Continuously running Circulator pump

I have one zone in my house that seems to run the pump continuously, and that zone of the house will get overly warm. I have found that if I shut the system off and pull out the relay and re-insert, it will reset and work fine for a period of time (Not sure it's called a relay, but it's the parts with the clear plastic covers on them.) My first thought was just to try and replace this relay, but I wanted to get some of your thoughts first.

The Relay is a Taco 504 4 zone switching relay.

Thanks in advance.

Tried to post a picture, and a link to the picture, but not enough posts yet.
    Last edited by bustedwheel; 03-12-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Default Re: Continuously running Circulator pump

Replace the relay!

Each one of those relays is a snap-out part that can easily be removed & brought to the parts supply house for a new replacement; remove the bad relay & take it to the parts house.

Consult the Yellow Pages under Heating Equipment & Systems Parts & Supplies to find a heating parts house in your area, bring in the dud relay to make sure you get exactly the right part; the Taco part # for the switching relay unit is SR504, 20 amp load, 4 zones; very popular multi-zone switching relay, but I doubt HD/Lowe's would have it; probably would cost less at a parts house in any event.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 03-12-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I would expect that each zone gets a relay, but there are actually 5 relays (plus one other, but it looks slightly different.) The house has 3 zones, and then the hot water heater. Would I need one relay, or could it be more than one?

Replace the one that's giving you problems, you should be all set!

I would try swapping the relays to see if the problem moves with the relay or stays with the vlave. You may have a sticking valve.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I would try swapping the relays to see if the problem moves with the relay or stays with the vlave. You may have a sticking valve.

Jack
    THanks. I am going to give that a try. The only problem is all the other zones have new pumps on them that are real quite, and hard to tell when they are running or not. Luckily the pump with the problem is old and loud, which is what made me notice it in the first place.

I'll figure it out. Thanks for the help.