+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Door

Hybrid View

Default New Door

Hello everybody. This is my first post here so be gentle. I have added onto my house and finally finishing up my project. We added a great room onto our kitchen with a mudd room. I put in a 6' patio door center hinge. I noticed over the weekend that it is very difficult to open the door and the door knob doesn't line up with the striker plate anymore. I checked the frame for squareness and it only out 1/16" total. What has happened and what do I need to do to fix this problem? Thanks for your help.

Default Re: New Door

If your door is sagging, check it for squareness, check the hinges' mounting screws (they may be too small) and check the gaps around the door to determine what needs fixing.

Default Re: New Door

I checked the squareness last night and it is out a total of 1/16". I will check the hinge mounting screws and ensure that they are tight. The gap on the left and right side of the door is even. The gap across the top is a little out. It shut fine when I installed it back in the summer but now it doesn't. As much as I hate to have to do it, it would appear that I need to remove the mounting screws and readjust the frame in the rough opening. Would you agree?