Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013

    Default Door jamb replace or fix?

    I have recently purchased my first home and my list of "improvements" is growing by the day. Before I did anything major I decided to replace all the exterior deadbolts and keyed handles. The house came with cheap deadbolts that were in poor shape, so replacing them made the most sense to me. While replacing the front deadbolt I discovered that the strike plate for the deadbolt (is that the right term?) was covering wood that is in bad shape. My question is, do I replace the frame, the door/frame or fill with epoxy/wood filler? Any thoughts the community has would be much appreciated! As a side note, the jamb for the knob seems to be too short for the width of the frame, is this typical? Should I just install a larger strike plate?

    Pics at (remove the spaces): / bszldko

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    Default Re: Door jamb replace or fix?

    You can get over size strike plates and fit them in place, using longer hard to break wood screws, or fill in the space with wood putty/filler and caulking.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts