+ Reply to Thread

Talking Stop valve questions from a house newbie

Hi Everyone,

This is my first thread love watching TOH.

Just bought my first home its a 1964 rancher and I've been having some questions about plumbing.

I was trying to turn on the valve that controls the outdoor garden spickets, the shut off, but I am having trouble finding it and the copper pipes in the house aren't exactly brand new. Lots of the valves have some corrosion (i'd post a picture but it wouldn't let me) so I don't want to keep trying them all. One actually developed a tiny leak that's barely noticeable when I tried to open it.

Anyway, there is a stop and waste valve (actually almost all the shut offs are stop and waste besides the zone controls for the boiler) at the main water shutoff that shuts off water to the whole house down in the basement. I closed the main indoor water shutoff valve when I saw the leak at the other valve I was trying, and now I am afraid to turn the water shut off valve all the way open again.

It being a stop valve, is it okay to leave it half way open, I don't want to damage the pipes or develop leaks elsewhere.

I am getting in contact with the original owner he said it's somewhere above the drop ceiling the basement bathroom.

The basement was finished years ago and access to most of the shut off valves is above the shower in the basement, so they are a little tricky to get to through the drop ceiling. I've been looking there for the outdoor shut off.

Hope someone can throw me a bone here. Thanks!

Default Re: Stop valve questions from a house newbie

What are you afraid of? a tiny leak? Go ahead and turn the main on, you can turn it on half way or all the way, it won't change the leak.

Where exactly is the leak? It would be a good idea to fix it, where ever it is.

Hey, thanks for responding!

I just checked it and it isn't really leaking anymore, just kinda...moist.

Really wish I could post the photo of it, but otherwise I'm getting good pressure throughout house with the way the main shutoff is cocked.

I'm just afraid you keep turning the valve and the head pops off and next thing you know it's underwater adventure.

The leaking valve that is moist is over the shower kinda. So I guess if it did explode it would just leak all over the shower and down the drain. But I mean, we aren't talking a MAJOR leak, you can just see little beads of moisture from the stem. Most of the valves have this green scale on them from being so old, so maybe it's just something that will have to be replaced in the future but isn't life threatening at the moment.

And now, I'm a little curious whether the stop and waste main shutoff is actually a GLOBE valve? I heard you aren't supposed to keep stop and waste closed any, they are supposed to be full open. But if it is a globe, I don't know if they make globe valves that have a waste bleeder on them.
    Last edited by radio geoff; 03-10-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Using a wrench, tighten the shut off valve: at the waste and at the handle - go slow and easy and don't over tighten. See if the small leak (plumber's tear) stops.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    What are you afraid of? a tiny leak? Go ahead and turn the main on, you can turn it on half way or all the way, it won't change the leak.

Where exactly is the leak? It would be a good idea to fix it, where ever it is.
    And I am more worried about he main shutoff valve springing a major leak and dripping all the basement, but I'm staring at it right with the boiler on and faucets on and it's not leaking at all. Just has some green corrosion on packing nut.

Smile Re: Stop valve questions from a house newbie

Also, is it normal to hear some water moving through the main water supply line when you flush a toilet? I think it is just checking.

Smile Re: Stop valve questions from a house newbie

Ok, here is the update.

I noticed that during the remodeling there was some drywall dust from the basement remodel sprinkled over the piping around the whole house water shut off in basement.

I looked at the blue knob on the valve, and the dust appears there too.

I finally realized, before I messed with the knob, that the position of the knob and the valve were lined up such that the dust had settled uniformly on one same side of the pipe and the knob.

So, I matched the two back up, in the position they were in before I touched it. That way, I won't be giving the piping system too much pressure.

Wish I could post a picture for you.

It will make no difference in the pressure if the valve is just cracked open or opened all the way. (open it all the way)

John