+ Reply to Thread

Default Knee wall closet design

When we moved into our 1 1/2 story Cape Cod, we asked our contractor to build a closet into one of the upstairs bedrooms so that we would have a master "dressing room" with more storage. (Great house, tiny closets.) We took an easy and inexpensive approach at the time: two bi-fold doors set about 4 feet from the knee wall, with one long closet rod installed near the front of the closet. This was fine for the short-term, but we are not really making the most of the space. There is plenty of room in the back of the closet--where we put some free-standing shelves for shoes and pants--but it is difficult to rummage around to get at the things in the back because we have to push past all of the hanging clothes in the front.

I would love to install a neat closet organization system that will help my husband and I to make the most of this valuable space. The knee wall is 5 ft high, and the closet is 11 ft long by almost 4 ft deep.

I look forward to receiving the community's suggestions!

Default Re: Knee wall closet design

Hi,

I'm Rich the cabinet maker and closet designer. Your closet does have some advantages over similar spaces in that it is wide and deep and the knee wall is 4 feet high.

Your rod should be on the back wall not across the front.

Starting over, first place the closet rods. Use the back wall for long hang and the side walls for medium hang. I would use the back half of the side walls for hang and the front half for flat shelves for shoes and folded garments. This way you can get in the closet.

As for materials it depends. Home centers have a nice selection. Or you could hire a company. If you do, get three quotes!

Hope this helps.

-Rich Fairfull
    Cabinetmaker, Owner
    Rich Fairfull Closet Design
    Shrewsbury, Ma 01545