+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cold room

Default Cold room

One of the bed rooms on the first floor is colder than other bed rooms on the same floor. This bed room is situated above the garage and has a separate HVAC duct work (zoned). It remains unusually cold and the heater keeps running in order to keep it warm. The room has hard wood floors and the floor is at a lower level than the rest of the first floor. I would like to use this room as an office and what can I insulate the room better?

Default Re: Cold room

It's colder than the rest of the rooms because it's above a garage. Insulate the garage ceiling to improve the situation.

i would guess that either the floor isn't properly insulated in which case you can affordably have blow in insulation installed and maybe install a large area rug....or....the duct is not properly sized for that room.....my money would be on the former

Thanks, guys, for the input. What type of insulation should I be considering and can it be warm just like the other rooms with blow in insulation? Any ideas on the cost of such insulation? Thanks again.

standard celluose insulation will be just fine. and you'll notice a big temp difference. i would guess that it would cost you about $500-$800 but that depends on where you live.