+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Crown Molding in Cape Cod upstairs bedroom

Hi all, I really need some assistance here. I am a first time home owner and am also not a carpenter by trade. If you can help, please speak in lamens terms so I can understand.

I bought a 1972 Cape Cod home. I took on the project of installing Crown Molding on the entire main level. After some frustrations, I was able to acquire the skill and finished the main level no problem- angles and all.

Now the frustrating part: The Upstairs! The bedrooms in this Cape Cod has slanted ceilings. I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with them, but they are an absolute pain when it comes to angles. I can post a picture if need be. Anyways, I tried for two hours last night to figure out the angle that runs into the 45 degree wall, and then the angle for the piece that comes off that wall and heads the other way. As I mentioned earlier, I installed crown on an entire level of my home at many different angles, and I tried every one of those angles, with coping, and so forth-no such luck.

I should also note that I installed 4 1/4" Crown throughout the main level and I am simply using 1 1/2" Bed Mould to break the ceilings from the walls. It seems so simple because they are smaller pieces, but let me tell you, it isn't.

Has anybody ever attempted this task? What angles am I looking at? How in the world can I get the corners to line up with a 45 degree downward angle?

Please help!

Thanks!
    Last edited by vanderel24; 03-08-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Default Re: Crown Molding in Cape Cod upstairs bedroom

i've done that before. three walls get the crown molding, the angled wall doesn't get any at all. the crown dies into the sloped ceiling.

Unhappy Re: Crown Molding in Cape Cod upstairs bedroom

Thank you for the reply. Really? Aw man I would hate to simply leave those bare angles with trim everywhere else? How did the end result look? I feel that if I walked into the room and seen molding like that, it would look unfinished to me.

Also, where the window extends off the house (where the two angled walls come to) that is another flat space where I can lay the molding and then it would look really funky to literally have molding on 3 walls and then a small piece above the window but nowhere else.

That probably reads confusing, but thank you for the response. I am going to waste another board or two tonight trying to figure it out; and, if I do- I will post back on what I did. I was so close last night...nothing a little caulk and paint can't make look nice is the way I look at it.

Thanks again.

Anybody else ever attempted this?

MLB's solution is the simplest, though instead of just leaving the one wall blank, you paint "trim" there, basically, just paint a stripe the same color as the trim to give the eye the impression of something being there.

Another method is to use corner blocks. These are 1" to 1-1/2" square blocks that are slightly longer than the trim is tall. Sometimes they have a decorative base, sometimes not. You install the blocks at each corner, which gives the trim something to but into other than itself. The longer angle cut on the trim is absorbed by the block.

Yet another method is to cut pieces to make the corner transition. Go to youtube and search "vaulted ceiling crown molding", there should be plenty of vids on the subject to show you how to cut your way around those corners.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you for the reply.

I did in fact google my life away last night as I considered punching a hole in the wall. I have seen the idea of those blocks, but I am trying to envision how it would look. The exact spot that I am talking about has a three way intersection. Therefore, a block wouldn't really fit into the equation, unless it's one hell of an odd shape. I could lay the block on the edge of one wall and then come into it off the other wall, but it would be laying flat against just one of the wall's and I feel that would look mighty odd.

It's kind of hard to put into words the way that this corner looks, so I apologize if it's confusing.

I really don't like the idea of painting it either, but you are right- it is an option.

I suppose it's back to youtube for more videos. I am sure I will figure it out with trial and error, but I have 2 full bedrooms to do (this being the first corner of 5 more yet to come- opposite sides too) and was hoping for the miracle answer I suppose. I will get it, it's just going to take some time.

Thank you for your response.

I'm having a hard time envisioning a scenario where three trim legs converge into one corner. There is no way you're going to get a good union with trim joints alone, unless all trim is symmetrical (such as a clover leaf ), and all laying flat on the same plane, and crown is neither of those things.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hi again,

Yes, the scenario is difficult to portray and I will take a picture to accurately present my dilemma. I didn't mean that three trim legs will be converging into one corner; I meant that the corner itself has an intersection between 3 walls (the side bedroom wall, ceiling, and slanted back wall). The trim (molding) needs to run along the ceiling and side wall on one side, intersect at the 3 point intersection, and carry parallel along the slanted wall and ceiling. The slanted wall and ceiling does not allow for the trim to butt tight to the wall like the downstairs molding did- because of the odd angle.

I am probably just confusing anybody reading this, as I need a picture to justify my thoughts.

I was really hoping that somebody else tackled this same issue in a Cape Cod upstairs bedroom that might have the trick to making it fit right. It's so entirely different than normal, main level molding, and it's frustrating that I can't figure it out.

A picture is definitely going to be necessary, at least for me. You will have to host the image on-line and link to it from here, as you can't upload directly, unless you put it into a pdf or zip format.

As you have realized, you cannot cope the rake molding into the horizontal. In the olden days , they would make the rake profile different to they could be mitered. Corner blocks, IMO are a travesty, but we had a custom bathroom to build once with a cathedral ceiling and angled walls. I made custom corner blocks for these; they fit the wall angle and allowed the rakes to butt in with simple bevel cuts.
    Ugly, to me, but the customer was very happy with her slab marble master bath.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.