+ Reply to Thread

Default Furnace Vent Pipe Problem

Whoever installed the gas furnace in my little house ran the vent pipe up into the attic, then over to and out the south wall of the attic rather than up through the roof. They just hacked a hole through the cement fiber board siding, stuck the pipe out, glued on a grill cap, and were done. The home inspector didn't notice this. I did after I moved in. I squirted some foam insulation around the pipe, stopping up the gap, cleared out the wood wasps (catch and release). But I need to fix this properly and I don't know how. Would some kind and knowledgeable soul please give me a step by step? Thank you very much. M.

Default Re: Furnace Vent Pipe Problem

We covered this topic in the past, but quickly, you need to check with your local bldg dept. It may or may not be to code in your city to run a vent horizontally.

Even if it's allowed, there are many conditions that have to be met.

Yikes! OK. Thanks, M.

Horizontal runs are often used for high efficiency units, that is over 90% units. They are however usually run directly out not up through the attic.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you, Jack. It is a reasonably high efficiency furnace. (Probably 10-12 years old.) It has a condensation line (installed by my plumber after I bought the house) down through the floor into the crawl space and connecting to the waste water line. This replaced a length of acrylic pipe (think acquarium) which ran from a pump in a pan on the floor up through cup hooks in the ceiling and down the wall into the washer's waste water pipe. The vent pipe may be the handiwork of the same installer. best, M.