+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wiring problem

Default Wiring problem

I currently have two three way switches which control two ceiling lights in a bedroom. I'm trying to change the switches to single pole switches so that each of the switches control one light each. The wiring to the switches currently have a black wire, a white wire and a red wire. Is there a simple way to make the conversion?
    Larry

Default Re: Wiring problem

it all depends on how it was wired but i doubt you can easily do it. both lights are most probably connected to each other and depending on how everything in the room is set up, you won't have power to one of the switches.

best advice i can give is to have an electrician check it out.

If you were real lucky and only wanted the lights to be controlled from the switch location where the blk, rd & wht go to the first light in the ceiling and the power is fed to the circuit at that same switch location.

Then you could replace the 3 W with two SP and abandon the second 3 W.

Lots of "ands".

Maybe an electrician is a good suggestion,
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

LD109,

It's practically impossible to direct you from in front of a computer. Your situation must be looked at and evaluated, and a local electrician is the best person to call.

Quote Originally Posted by LD109 View Post
    I currently have two three way switches which control two ceiling lights in a bedroom. I'm trying to change the switches to single pole switches so that each of the switches control one light each. The wiring to the switches currently have a black wire, a white wire and a red wire. Is there a simple way to make the conversion?
    Larry
    It may be possible if the existing wiring is favourable
    The wiring information you provided doesn't seem complete. I would suspect you would see more wires at one switch location than at the other.

As others have posted we can't see what's what. You need to provide more detailed information before anyone can begin to offer any reasonable suggestion.

Maurice -- add --- may & if
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush