+ Reply to Thread

Question Offsetting main stack...can it be done?

OK...old house with the main stack located directly beneath the Center Beam of the house (24' foursquare 1880)

Of course the previous plumbing gurus drilled the main and waste stacks (the main comes up out of the basement floor and has a Y that runs up to grab the waste from the first and second floor bathrooms) directly through the 12" hand hewn beam that holds up the center of the house. They carved out both sides of the beam leaving about an inch of beam holding the mess up and it's severely fractured...as you can imagine.

I have three options:

1: route the stack at an angle away from the beam and then up, supporting it before it goes up through the first floor...Is this legal per code?
    2: keep the stack where it is and place support beams on both sides of the fractured beam spending countless hours moving plumbing, hvac, gas lines and the rest to place the beams...not to mention the fact the basement ceiling is 6' and I'm 6'4 so putting in 8"LVL's will give me 5'4
    3. Dig up the basement and move the stack...is this a DIY job with the city plumbing in mind?

Thank you so much for your help...
    Last edited by bobphoto; 03-07-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Default Re: Offsetting main stack...can it be done?

i somewhat get what you're saying but i can't exactly picture it. any chance of posting a few pictures?

from what you said, the first thing that comes to mind is to get a structual engineer in there to assess the damage and come up with a plan to remedy it. your description leads me to believe that you have a very serious and possibly dangerous structural issue, perhaps to the point where a building inspector could ban anyone from entering the house until the issue is resolved. get the enginer in there and let us know what he said. after his recommendations you will know how bad the problem is and if it's a DIY or professional fix.

To support it with two posts there will have to be footings under the posts.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    To support it with two posts there will have to be footings under the posts.

John
    all the more reason to get an engineer in there

I can't understand how this house is still standing with such huge code violation!
    Consider yourself lucky in the past, but now get going with the repair, which looks to me like a job for the experienced.

Ok...It's balloon frame so the beams only hold the center of the floor and the side it's on is only 6 feet or so from the chimney to the sill. I've had an engineer in there and he recommends, like I said to either replace the beam or put new beams on either side. Yes I would have to pour footings for support posts. The Engineer was not a plumber so my question is more on the plumbing side of things; whether or not I can steer that stack over a couple feet and run her up.

You can offset the stack but the beam would still have to be dealt with.

John