+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sealing Against Stains On Toilet Bowl

Hi,

I live in an area which gets it's water from a well. It's great, but 100 years ago the area was a manganese mine. Now manganese is kinda like 'rust' in that it's pretty harmless, but it stains toilets something fierce. And these stains are -black-.

I have two perfectly fine toilets that look -gross- after 5 years. I've tried various 'chemicals'... including muriatic and no go.

I've tried pumice, which works better, but no matter what they say, it -does- remove the glazing... and that only makes the stains recur faster. They usually come back within a month.

SO AFTER ALL THAT: Is there a way to 're-glaze' or 'wax' those areas after I pumice off the stains, so that it's 'sealed' against further stains?

TIA,

---JC

Default Re: Sealing Against Stains On Toilet Bowl

Talk to a local re-glazer about that.

In the meantime, install a whole house filter specifically for filtering stuff like this.

What is involved in 'whole house filter'? Expensive? Is it something I can do myself or does it require a plumber? I've asked a couple of local hardware stores and they all say 'water softener' and that's a total no go.

TIA,

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Talk to a local re-glazer about that.

In the meantime, install a whole house filter specifically for filtering stuff like this.

To remove hard water stains without damaging the surface, Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Use the cold oven formula in the yellow can. Be sure to wear a face mask as those fumes in a confined space are choking and wear rubber gloves. I turn off the water and then use a plunger to lower the water level. Then I dry the bowl surfaces above the water level.

I spray on a good layer and let it sit 2-3 hours. Almost all the stains will just brush off easily. It works a lot better than CLR. I too have a well with a high mineral content and acidic (pH 5.5) water.

Thanks. It sorta worked... or at least, better than anything non-abrasive I've tried.

Still only 80% of the way there. Maybe my stains are worse than normal. If I want to -really- get it clean, seems like I still need to do the pumice thing. Grrrr....

But I do appreciate it. Cheers!

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    To remove hard water stains without damaging the surface, Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Use the cold oven formula in the yellow can. Be sure to wear a face mask as those fumes in a confined space are choking and wear rubber gloves. I turn off the water and then use a plunger to lower the water level. Then I dry the bowl surfaces above the water level.

I spray on a good layer and let it sit 2-3 hours. Almost all the stains will just brush off easily. It works a lot better than CLR. I too have a well with a high mineral content and acidic (pH 5.5) water.

Search on line for the right filter.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Search on line for the right filter.
    ***. I had no idea these existed. But they're all over the map: $42 to $3,000. Any suggestions on how to evaluate these?

TIA,

---JC

We moved to the current house almost 2 years ago. We noticed stains showing up in bath tub, sinks & toilets. Also aerators were plugging up every few months. I added a whole house sediment filter from the blue big box store. Just over $120 for the unit and filters (the string wound type) are $8 for two.

After 6 months I changed the filter, it was incredibly gross. Now I know what was getting into appliances and am happy it is not any more.

Our plumbing was 1/2 inch Pex so, it was not hard to plumb. I did splurge by adding 3 valves for shutoff and isolation as needed.

Good luck!

Depending on how severe your problem is, get a filter that meets your needs. The previous poster has a good suggestion you can follow.

Like with all water filters, the secret is changing filters on time, before they are "disgusting", or the thing is completely worthless.

I got one more thing for you that is less abrasive than pumice, a single edge razor blade. Get one of those razor blade holders that holds a single edge razor blade, like the ones used to sc**** decals off windshields etc.

These are available at many auto parts stores, the best ones are the long handled ones where the blade does not retract. You would be surprised how easily those mineral deposits sc**** off, much faster than scrubbing off and they don't scratch the porcelain. They sc**** off a lot easier right after using the Easy Off oven cleaner.

The single edge razor blades flex just enough to follow the contour of the bowl. Your toilet may be a little harder to do if you have scratched the surface badly with the pumice stone.
    Last edited by keith3267; 03-09-2013 at 07:44 PM.