+ Reply to Thread

Thread: No Heat

Default No Heat

Hi,

I have forced air, and the heat is blowing cold air. The thermostat keeps jumping from 61 - 65 - 61 - 69 and back to 61 with the blower keep blowing cold air. The blower won't blow at all with the thermostat set to auto but when I switch it to on it will turn on and just blow cold air with it set at 75. The pilot light is lit on the boiler and I have hot water. What is causing the cold air? The Thermostat?

Default Re: No Heat

The new thermostat did not fix the problem

Check gas supply. If OK, it could be the gas valve, which is a job for a pro.

If this is a boiler that provides hot water as well as hot air, then either a circulating pump is not working or you have a solenoid that is not working.

Quote Originally Posted by GFrazier View Post
    Hi,

I have forced air, and the heat is blowing cold air. The thermostat keeps jumping from 61 - 65 - 61 - 69 and back to 61 with the blower keep blowing cold air.
    Being forced air heating , it's recycled indoor air ( at the inside ambient temperature ) that you are feeling.

The blower won't blow at all with the thermostat set to auto but when I switch it to on it will turn on and just blow cold air with it set at 75.
    With the thermostat set to * Auto* or *On* only controls when the blower turns on.

Set to *On* you are manually turning on the blower to run constantly until you move the swith to *Off* or *Auto*.

In the *Auto* setting -- only when the heat source is fired and reaches a set temperature ( at the heating unit ) is when the blower would turn on to circulate the heated air. At the point when the indoor temperature reaches whatever you set the thermostat is when the blower shuts off -- automatically.

In other words -- turning the switch to *On* won't turn on the heat -- just the blower

The pilot light is lit on the boiler and I have hot water.
    Is this a hydronic forced air system --- system that uses hot water circulated through a water to air heat exchanger located in an air handler ?
    If so, then it sounds as though there's an issue with the water circulation components or the associated controls or possibly some wiring.

What is causing the cold air? The Thermostat?
    While it's possible a thermostat is faulty and can happen from time to time -- more often than not problems are usually elsewhere --- as you found.

No offense , it doesn't sound as though your knowledge of heating systems lends you doing any further troubleshooting.
    My advice would be to call a professional to troubleshoot and repair the heating system.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush