+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Insulation in Old Balloon Frame...no drywall just wood ceiling

Hey...have an old Balloon Framed baby and have a few questions.

One: The house is gutted to studs and I'm going to be insulating before putting DW up. I plan on putting an inch of rigid foam then some fiberglass batts as there is no way we can afford the huge money for spray foam. We plan on putting some more rigid on the outside before re-siding in a year of so. Any problems you can see with this approach?

Second:
    There is an addition that went on in the 50's that is our kitchen. It has a full basement and a hip roof with very litle insulation. I like the look of plain board ceiling and plan to remove the lath and plaster and place boards on the top of the ceiling joists and then insulation above that. What should I use as an air/dust/vapor barrier between the boards and the insulation. I was thinking tar paper maybe? I do not plan on using TNG..just nailing 1x6 boards to the joists.

Thanks much in advance

Default Re: Insulation in Old Balloon Frame...no drywall just wood ceiling

You need to install fire blocking and if you don't have any cross bracing to prevent the frame from racking, then you need to put in something to brace the frame. Your plans will remove a lot of the structural bracing that it had before you started.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    You need to install fire blocking and if you don't have any cross bracing to prevent the frame from racking, then you need to put in something to brace the frame. Your plans will remove a lot of the structural bracing that it had before you started.
    The outside of the house is sheathed with 1" planking. What do you recommend as far as bracing?

I was under the impression that you were going to remove the planking when you reside. If you don't disturb the planking, then you should be OK.

Are you exposing the ceiling joists in the addition?
    Last edited by keith3267; 03-06-2013 at 12:32 AM.

I was going to...but that depends on insulation ideas...The addition is single story and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to place wood above the joists and place insulation on top of that?