+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Identify the kind of wood flooring: 1930s house (pics)

My mother's house was built in the 1930s and underneath long suffering carpets lay some sort of wood floor. The subfloor (at least I think it is) sits on top of the joists at a diagonal and the mystery floor boards lay on top. Perhaps glued or nailed, I'm really not sure.

I need to know what kind of floor it is. My Dad said it was some kind of pine but not the 'good kind'; he seemed to think it was cheap floor and it could never work on its own and needed to be carpeted. Something about it being "soft wood." I'd ask my Dad about it but he passed away and know nothing about wood floors. I really don't have anyone else to ask about this issue. And while he was close to perfect in nearly every respect in my eyes, he could have been wrong about the flooring and it's unsuitability. Are there any tests I could do or something? Can you tell just by looking?

There are problems with the floor anyway that need to be attended to but knowing what kind of wood it is would really help me make a plan.

Default Re: Identify the kind of wood flooring: 1930s house (pics)

It looks to me to be Yellow Pine, more than adequate for wood flooring.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Agree, Southern Yellow Pine, also known as Loblolly Pine or Long Leaf Pine. It was generally used in the parts of the floor where it would be covered with carpet. You would see rooms with an Oak perimeter and a pine center.

Your wood looks like a good grade of straight grain Loblolly Pine and that is now seen as a desirable wood for floors.

Thanks to JLMCDANIEL and keith3267! I really appreciate you looking and giving your opinion.

Looks like I'm going to learn about wood floors soon! I saw a discussion from cheapskatediy. Sounds like hiring a pro to sand your floors is a good idea. I read in another board about testing the floor for lead because in old floor it is possible that lead was used in the stain. Anything else to watch out for?

Any suggestions, videos, websites or tutorials would be appreciated for taking on this task!

Doubt there is lead in this floor, but you can get home kits to test for stain. Lead is a pigment used to color stain and varnish, the floor pictured looks un-colored. You might also consider renting a sander and doing it yourself. For a novice I would recoment a floor random orbital sander rather than a drum sander. That way you are less likely to do damage to the floor.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Go snoop around on johnbridge forum. They will help you out

www.johnbridge.com
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content