+ Reply to Thread

Default Two Breakers in a Single Switch Plate

I am wanting to install a ceiling fan in our family room. While trying to figure out what breaker controls the fan, we found out that the switch plate with the lighting controls is on two different circuits (I need to turn two breakers off in order to safely work in the box). Is having two circuits feeding into a single switch box common? This seems extremely dangerous to me.

Thanks,
    Edison
    Last edited by EdisonCP; 04-25-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: add additional info

Default Re: Two Breakers in a Single Switch Plate

Yup. Pretty common. The only rule I know of is that you can't have two circuits on the same "yoke". meaning switch, receptacle, etc. That's why you need a voltage tester to make sure it's safe to work on. i found out the hard way that I have the same setup. Remodeling my kitchen and I had 4 switches in two 4X4 switch boxes. I replaced them with one 2X4 each with those double switches that fit behind a duplex receptacle type cover. Well....when I got the SNOT knocked out of me disconnecting the old wiring, I discovered that there were two circuits in one box. My fault...I never would have done it without checking voltage if I was at work, but at home, I think the brain takes the weekend off too.
    Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should!

Default Re: Two Breakers in a Single Switch Plate

Quote Originally Posted by EdisonCP View Post
    I am wanting to install a ceiling fan in our family room. While trying to figure out what breaker controls the fan, we found out that the switch plate with the lighting controls is on two different circuits (I need to turn two breakers off in order to safely work in the box). Is having two circuits feeding into a single switch box common? This seems extremely dangerous to me.

Thanks,
    Edison
    I to see that all the time and it is legal. I also agree with Vern and check ALL the wires.