+ Reply to Thread

Default Want to paint-how to fix?

I'm planning on painting my boys' room, but don't know how to first repair the damaged plaster on the exterior wall. We repaired the cause of the water damage that we think led to the cracks and crumbling, but now what should I do? Is it something I can fix myself, or do I need to get a professional to do it? (Note: I am a novice at home repairs!!)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Want to paint-how to fix?

Go to youtube and find demonstration videos on repairing cracks - then you will be able to determine if this job is for you or not.

I should point out that the cracks and holes are in old plaster walls (my house is about 85 years old). I have painted and spackled before, but would it work to just stuff joint compound in and on those holes and cracks and sand it down, or would it just crumble again under the paint??

Use only products rated for exterior use, like Fix All, Presto or seal krete. You can find them at the big stores.

Don't use joint compound (mud) which is for indoor drywall only.

thanks to you all. actually i was about to ask a similar question in a new thread but now got the necessary replies.

Sorry-I'm afraid I didn't explain myself very well..when I said that the damage was in an exterior wall, I meant the window wall which had sustained quite a bid of damage from a really bad roofing job done for the previous owners. This room is my boys' bedroom and it desperately needs painting, but I don't know how to prep the damaged walls.