+ Reply to Thread

Default black walnut trees

Hello,

I recently purchased a 104 year old house in Bensenville, IL which I adore. There are several black walnut trees and 1 horse chestnut tree on the property. I am thinking about selling 1 or 2 of the walnut trees or even the horse chestnut (in order to keep some money in reserve in case I need help down the road with the mortgage) but don't know the market for them or the best way to go about doing it. Any suggestions? Love your show...so innovative and informative.

Thanks for your time,

Julia
    Last edited by jamistele; 08-10-2007 at 12:30 AM. Reason: misspelling

Default Re: black walnut trees

Julia,
    You are talking about a horse chestnut tree... It is a very nice tree.
    As for me, the origin of this name is interesting. Does it have anything to do with horse food? Does it have anything to do with horses at all?

jamistele - The only advice I can give you is to call around to various mobile sawmills and see what you find. If you have no listing in your phone book, then look under tree trimming and see if you can find a lead there. It isn't likely that you'll get much money for the trees themselves or the lumber (after expenses ). I'd recommend setting extra money aside for that rainy day, rather than destroy the natural beauty that these trees provide to you and your property.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Julia,
    You are talking about a horse chestnut tree... It is a very nice tree.
    As for me, the origin of this name is interesting. Does it have anything to do with horse food? Does it have anything to do with horses at all?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesculus_hippocastanum

Maryland had a state comptroller Louis ****sein, who was well reguarded for his many years of service, over 60 years I believe. Anyway he was the largest owner of black walnut trees in the state. He got that way by buying trees all across the state. While Maryland's not a large state, his travels about brought him in contact with many folk in all corners. Since he was a good old boy who liked to chat up his constituents, when he saw a particuarly nice tree or a stand of trees, he would offer to buy the rights to the tree. The understanding was that if the tree fell or had to be taken down he was to be called and someday he might come to claim the tree. As far as I know he never cut one down.

I read your idea of selling your black walnut trees. I have heard that there is a great market for walnuts but there are also problems. Most mills use the trees to make veneer versus actual lumber. And that presents a problem when there has been a nail or foreign material put into the tree. I've heard the mills generally do not buy trees that are in cities and/or around houses for this reason. But, a number of years ago a client told me of his "place in the woods". He said that he went there to relax one weekend and discovered that someone had come on to his property and cut down every black walnut tree on his property. He fortunately was covered by his insurance company and received a very healthy settlement for his trees. Even better, they were able to catch the thieves because they had been drinking beer while cutting down his trees. They left their finger prints on the beer cans and because they had prior records, they were caught and sent to prison for felony theft!!
    Anyway, I suggest you contact all local lumber mills first, then work the INTERNET. If your trees are in country and have no nails or spikes in them, you may be very pleased with their value! Good luck. Kazland

keep a helmet on beware a falling nuts

So is there a consensus? You can sell black walnut trees but what is a reasonable price for size? How would you know if someone is taking advantage?

I remember that about 15 or 20 years ago the Chicago Forest Preserve District had problems with Black Walnut tree rustlers. Supposedly a prime trunk could bring $10K !