+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy three way switch(es) to single pole switch

I want to change the three way switches in a hallway to a single pole motion switch. I would put a covering over one switch box? There is a (double) white wire connected, two black wires and a red wire in one box and a white wire, a black wire and a red wire in the second box. Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: three way switch(es) to single pole switch

To kill one switch, simple remove the switch, cap off the wires and install a 'blind' plate.

At the other location do nothing.

Wink Re: three way switch(es) to single pole switch

Thanks for your reply but your suggestion doesn't work:

You need to connect the wire that came off the common screw (usually black) to one of the other wires with a wire nut and then cap off the remaining wire.

Again thanks for the replies. I have tried the suggestions given but I guess what I need is a little more detail. - In the instructions I have read in other responses there is "talk" of the [traveller wire], what is this? I have, as I mentioned, with three wires - white, red & black. The second box has
    five wires [ two whites which are connected, a red and two black]. Power comes in on one of the black wires. Any help will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bootsfeet View Post
    I want to change the three way switches in a hallway to a single pole motion switch. I would put a covering over one switch box? There is a (double) white wire connected, two black wires and a red wire in one box and a white wire, a black wire and a red wire in the second box. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Any motion switches ( occupancy wall switch ) I've seen all require a neutral wire hookup.
    If that's case with the one you wish to use ; then , unfortunately the existing wiring you describe doesn't allow for any neutral connection at the switch location.

In other words you would need 3 conductors between the switch and light fixture --- switched feed to turn light on/off , constant hot feed , .neutral ,

Currently you only have -- constant hot feed & switch feed.

Leaving only two options ...

1) leave things as is
    -- or --
    2) run a new 3 conductor cable from light fixture and switch locations.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

While you list what wires are in the first box, what wires are actually connected to the first switch? Second question, which switch do you want to replace?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

While I agree with Jack --- it's good to know what wires are connected to where is helpful.
    Based on the provided information , here's what I see as a possible configuration that exists................

Last edited by canuk; 03-04-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    - Rush

Boots, There are some UL listed Lutron occupancy sensor switches that only have two black and a green wire. One is the Maestro 1 pole 250W (MS/OPS2H/WH) and is available at Home Depot for about $22.

It uses the bare wire in place of the neutral, to power the electronics. If this were a new installation Code would require you to use a sensor that has a neutral. But, this one can be used in your application with LED, CFL, incandescent lamps up to 250W and others.

Here is their installation manual: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...aa3ee0a0ea.pdf
    24/7 technical assistance is also available at 1 800 523-9466

For safety, be sure the power to the circuit is off while handling wires.

Using Canuck's drawing:

1) disconnect the blk, rd and wht wires that go to switch #2 and cap off. At switch #2, as Houston said, remove the switch and install a blank cover.
    2) that leaves a blk and a wht coming from the ceiling light. Since the power to this circuit seems to be fed from the ceiling you may want to test for this, prior to installing the occupancy switch.
    3) If so, simply remove twist the blk and wht together and the light should come on. Untwist them and it goes off.
    4) Now connect the one of the blk on the occupancy sensor to the blk from the ceiling (hot) and the other blk wire to the wht.
    5) lastly, connect the green to the bare.
    6) some easy programming of the switch is required.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Maurice -- good call.
    As mentioned earlier , all ones I've been involved with require a neutral.
    - Rush