+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to replace a single-handle shower faucet with a double-handled unit?

I need to replace a single-handle shower faucet with a double-handled unit.
    This Old House did a show on this a long time ago and they used a trim cover plate to accomplish this replacement.
    I cannot find this cover plate anywhere and I don't even know its proper name.
    Nobody outside TOH seems to have heard about it.
    We really dislike the single-handle unit and want to change it to a double, but I must have this trim piece to do the job.
    I need a source, if possible, or at least it's proper name so the guys at the supply house don't look at me like I'm nuts.
    Thank you in advance.
    Gil.

Default Re: How to replace a single-handle shower faucet with a double-handled unit?

Two handle shower faucets are no longer allowed by code. Shower faucets must be anti-scald.

John

Default Re: How to replace a single-handle shower faucet with a double-handled unit?

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    Two handle shower faucets are no longer allowed by code. Shower faucets must be anti-scald.

John
    Is this a new FL code? two handle shower faucets are still sold in CA.

They may be sold but there not allowed by code,in fact CA was one of the first states that required ati-scald faucets in showers. I think that was back in the 80's.

John

I replaced my single control with another because it was a ball handle and one could not easily get the same setting with each shower. With the new single control I can set it at 11:00 and always get the correct temperature, plus the new faucet is anti-scald and has stops. Good for us and grand kids.

Thank you,guys, for your responses.
    I am aware of the code and I happen to really think it is a truly silly and useless code.My wife and I are in our late fifties and neither of us can recall ever going to the emergency room because we got scalded in the shower, for God's sakes!

I/we resented being required to install this when I built my house and now that is is going bad I want to replace it with something that my wife and I are more comfortable using.

Anyways, if anybody has a lead on this cover plate that I need, please let me know.
    I will take the rap and serve my time in plumbing jail if I should get caught by the anti-scald police.

PS: I built this passive solar straw bale from pad to roof mostly by myself and I built it with the intent of passing it on to my boy. We do not intend to ever sell it.That means that "resale value" is irrelevant. Thanks.

The plate that you're referring to went the other direction...from 3-handle faucet to single handle faucet. It's a common part in plumbing suppy houses. I seriously doubt that you'd be able to find a plate to go from single-handle to a 2- or 3-handle faucet.
    HTH

Dave

I wanted to learn how to do this. I hate having to use hot water when I only want cold. I have an anti scald device installed at my hot water heater. Why do I need one on my shower/tub too? Why would this be illegal or even so hard to do? These single handle ones cost so much money to use always having to heat water when all you really want is the cold. Also they are always leaking with so many moving parts and hard to fix. Any ideas at all on this? Please don't repeat that it is illegal as I stated I have the anti scald device installed at the tank

Unhappy Re: How to replace a single-handle shower faucet with a double-handled unit?

And your experience in plumbing is???
    John