+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Will removing tub/shower combo hurt resale value?

I have 1 full bath, and 1 half bath. I have two children that are no longer taking baths, only showers (age 8 and 10). My question is, would taking out a tub/shower combo (circa 1983), and replacing with a walk in shower hurt our resale value of the house years from now? I would love to have two full bathrooms some day, but I don't know if that is doable in our house...

Default Re: Will removing tub/shower combo hurt resale value?

How long do you plan to keep the house? If it is 15-20 years or more, do whatever you want and you can change it again when that is outdated. If you may have to leave tomorrow, keep in mind that the next owner may want to take a bath or have children that do still take baths.

To answer your question: yes, taking out the tub will hurt the sales price.

When selling a house, you want to make the house appeal to as large pool of buyers as you possibly can, unless your price is below market.

i'm going to disagree with dj. i've been a real estate agent that has been selling real estate for 12 years. i don't think it will affect the value of your house at all but it will cut down on the amount of potential buyers. i've sold houses/condos without a bath tub before and the people that bought those houses loved the idea that they didn't have a tub and instead had a great big shower. the houses took longer to sell and alot of people walked away from the house because of it but it didn't affect the sales price. if i had a house with one full bath i would have a great big shower only also.

As long as there is a bathtub somewhere it should not be a deal-breaker for most people. But if your zip code demands 3.5 baths and you have 1 3/4. then you will be discounting heavily.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

It depends upon what else is for sale and is selling in your area. If folks expect one thing (you know this because they are shopping in your area) then they are expecting just that. But as pointed out above, if you're going to be there long enough then leave one tub in place and create one walk in stall

MLB and HR,

You guys are missing the point. The PO said that he has "1 full bath and 1 half bath". Meaning: he has 1 bathroom with a tub, sink and toilet AND 1 bathroom with sink and toilet only.

So, if he removes the bath tub and install a shower in its place, he will have "3/4 bath and 1/2 a bath".

In my experience (I had a real estate agent license for 8 years), this WILL affect the sales price, one way or another. However, as mentioned before, if he intends to stay in the house long term, this becomes a non issue for the time being.

I'm going to jump into the "it all depends" category. If you have a nice cast iron tub with a tiled surround and you rip that out and replace it with one of those all plastic "shower in a box" things, then yes the value is going to go down and the house will be harder to sell.

Now if you currently have one of those plastic "tub, shower, surround in a box" things and you replace it with a nice custom tile shower stall with multi shower heads, body sprays and steam, you will still reduce the number of potential buyers, but those remaining might see this as a plus and pay a little more for it.

It all depends.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    I'm going to jump into the "it all depends" category. If you have a nice cast iron tub with a tiled surround and you rip that out and replace it with one of those all plastic "shower in a box" things, then yes the value is going to go down and the house will be harder to sell.

Now if you currently have one of those plastic "tub, shower, surround in a box" things and you replace it with a nice custom tile shower stall with multi shower heads, body sprays and steam, you will still reduce the number of potential buyers, but those remaining might see this as a plus and pay a little more for it.

It all depends.
    Agreed.....

it's somewhat, but not exactly, like a house with a pool. some people won't buy a house without one and some people won't buy a house with one. when selling a house with a pool you are cutting out a large number of potential buyers but the ones that do want a pool will pay top dollar for that house because they know they won't find alot of houses with a pool.

i think keith makes a good point. i'll take a nice custom shower over a standard tub any day.