+ Reply to Thread

Default What's in my attic?

I posted this on another forum but I didn't get much of a response, so I'm hoping some of the pro's can help me or point me in the right direction.

On some of my rafter in the attic i have a white grainy substance on them. It started to happen after I boxed in my soffits about three months ago. I didn't use large enough vents to allow enough air to vent back into the attic. I have taken down the plywood that I used to box in the soffits and allowed normal air flow back in.

I did spray some of the boards with Tilex and them some Concrobium for mold and nothing happen.

I had an Insulation guy out today for an estimate for spray insulation. He said he wasn't sure what it could be but it doesn't look like mold.

I was thinking if my attic could have gotten to hot and some of the boards started to leak some of the sap or chemicals. Just a thought.

I would post an image but I don't have enough post counts to do so.

Default Re: What's in my attic?

Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks for responding.

If my attic is breathing again would this resolve the problem? Also is there anything that I can do myself.

My location is North Florida

If you have mold, clean it. Bleach works well.

New and improved venting system won't eradicate old mold, but may prevent new mold.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    If you have mold, clean it. Bleach works well.

New and improved venting system won't eradicate old mold, but may prevent new mold.
    Would improved venting keep the existing mold from continuing to grow? This is important because it would keep the problem from getting worst.

Also I was reading not to use bleach on mold.

I don't know why you wouldn't use bleach, but vinegar will work on mold. So will ethylene glycol antifreeze, but you have to be careful with it, its deadly if ingested. A Sodium Borate solution will also work but that is harder to get hold of.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    I don't know why you wouldn't use bleach, but vinegar will work on mold. So will ethylene glycol antifreeze, but you have to be careful with it, its deadly if ingested. A Sodium Borate solution will also work but that is harder to get hold of.
    Thanks for your advice

My only problem is that I'm to tall and awkward to be maneuvering around in the attic. If it was in a room and I was able to stand it would be no problem. My house was built in the 1940s, it's small and so is the attic. I already tried to do few things with the spray bottle mixed with Concrobium and had a difficult time doing so. I probably will have to hire someone and that's not in my budget.

This has become very stressful.

If anyone has anymore ideas please respond.

Can you reach the area by crawling?

Another option: use a bottle sprayer with a wand.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Can you reach the area by crawling?

Another option: use a bottle sprayer with a wand.
    Yep a garden pump sprayer should work well.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content