+ Reply to Thread

Default Cost to remodel small kitchen, 1960's house

I am starting the process of getting bids to remodel my tiny kitchen. I have spent $30K already in renovating my 1960's house not including the kitchen so my budget is tight. What would I expect to spend for labor, cabinets, new floor, appliances (GE quality or similar price), plumbing, knocking out a wall, etc.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Default Re: Cost to remodel small kitchen, 1960's house

Your questions are too broad and not entirely appropriate. Labor cost for trades varies by city, and even your appliance cost has a huge range as GE makes oven that range from a few hundred dollars to 4k.

You need to do some dirty and time consuming work here picking out appliance and adding up the cost from websites, and making phone calls to contractors for estimates as well as determining how much labor you will do yourself.

There is no formula for what you are looking for unfortunately, and the purpose of this board is advice and discussion, not really pricing.

Function is correct, there is no way to give you a generic number for what you ask.

A single cabinet can range from $50 to $500. Countertops can run from $10 to $200 a foot, or more. Flooring, appliances, it all is the same way.

Your location will affect the cost, as will the tradesmen you hire, and again, there is no generic cost or formula that can be used.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

here's a recommendation and what i do with alot of customers on a budget.

1. call a few contractors and ask for estimates based on labor and building materials only.

2. ask the contractors if they have any recommendations for places to buy cabinets, countertops, etc.

3. go window shopping with a rough floor plan of your kitchen and look at all the materials you will have to pick out yourself. tile, countertops, cabinets, fixtures, appliances, etc.

4. do some homework ******. meaning that once you picked out the expensive tile that you love, see if you can find something similar ****** that you'll be content with. you can do this with appliances, flooring, disposal, faucets, lighting fixtures, etc.

5. you can start amassing some of these items prior to beginning work which might make it easier for you financially.

6. when you have at least picked out what you want to install, then call the contractors back and go over this with them and they can fine tune your estimate.

this way you can control the cost of the things being installed and if your contractors are good reputable men, all your estimates should be within $2,000 - $3,000 of each other. be wary of an estimate that is way too low or way too high. remember, you get what you pay for. also, make sure permits are pulled for building, plumbing and electrical and CHECK, CHECK, CHECK, CHECK references.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    4. do some homework ******. meaning that once you picked out the expensive tile that you love, see if you can find something similar ****** that you'll be content with. you can do this with appliances, flooring, disposal, faucets, lighting fixtures, etc.
    ****** = "on-line"

It is one of the many common words that the language filter flags due to spammers.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    ****** = "on-line"

It is one of the many common words that the language filter flags due to spammers.
    i keep forgetting that. i only catch it when i proof read....thanks spruce

You're welcome. I always proof read my posts, not only to make sure the word censor hasn't altered anything, but to make sure it conveys the message intended. We've lobbied to have the censor lightened up now that we have live moderators, but as always, the TOH admin are deaf to the pleas of the regulars who police this forum for them.