+ Reply to Thread

Default Putting double hungs back in, sound is a factor

Hello,

A previous owner replaced all of my home's old double-hung windows with a vinyl replacement sash.

I am going to have some custom wood sashes with true divided lights and new wood storm windows made up. The one challenge I am facing is that I live near an airport, so noise abatement is a huge issue.

What kind of options should I looking into given that noise is an issue? Would a thicker glass pane in the window be feasible? I've heard that glass can range from 1/4" to 1/8".

Should I look into laminated glass? How does laminated glass look in historic windows? Is there any visual difference between laminated glass and regular glass?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Jim

Default Re: Putting double hungs back in, sound is a factor

Are storm windows an option you'd consider? They would help cut down on outdoor ambient noise.

Default Re: Putting double hungs back in, sound is a factor

Things that will help lessen sound are:
    Making sure to bed the glass in putty, so it will never rattle against the wood.
    Use a flexible weatherstripping like pile or silicone to cushion the sash against the frame.
    1/4" plate glass is probably of minimal value in divided lites where panes are small, up to 12x16, just using double-strength glass would be adequate. If large single-lite, then 1/4" plate would probably have the most effect. Realize that the sash will need to be stronger to carry the double weight of the plate glass.
    I've only worked on one house that had 6-over-6 sash with 1/4" plate glass (from 1910), and the sash were 1 3/4" thick.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.