+ Reply to Thread

Default Repairing Rounded Plaster Wall corners

I have a 1900s bungalow and I'm currently stripping off all the wallpaper in the house. I've got my electrician coming in to redo the service throughout the house then we'll be back in to repair all the walls which gives me a good amount of time to figure it all out. My plans for cracks are to stabilize the walls with the Plastermagic product (still considering plaster buttons). The outside corners in nearly all rooms have bullnose rounded corners and most if not all need some work.

Any advice!?

Default Re: Repairing Rounded Plaster Wall corners

Buy all means use the plastermagic and I would highly recommend you include the plaster washers, you can find these at Charles Street Supply very low cost for the final results.
    As for the corners during the time period of construction USG had metal corner beads # USG-10 A with a 3/4 inch bull nose. no longer available.
    To repair make a horizonal saw cut in the existing corner insert a sheet of paper out line and transfer to a sheet of metal cut out and use as a template to pull your corners out of finish plaster.
    Plan on skim coating your walls with a very high grade veneer plaster finish making sure it is Lime based.
    Don't use Synthetic plaster finish.

Thumbs up Re: Repairing Rounded Plaster Wall corners

Thanks for the information! The current corners have what appears to be a wooden dowel in the corners. There is no paint on the walls beneath the paper I have removed which leads me to believe that it the wood corners may have been a shortcut. Any more advice based on this? I can get pictures if that helps.

Also, can you reccomend a specific brand of suitable plaster? I was going to move forward with sealing the cracks with joint compound ber the plastermagic site once the walls were stabilized but your approach seems more appropriate.

Yes rounded wood beads were used for plaster wall corners most had a "V" cut were the plaster and wood meet to prevent cracking.
    The wood corners should be reuseable.
    As for products STICK with LIME BASED materials for plaster repairs or finish.
    Look for these products to pick from.
    Master of Plaster
    Atova Inc.
    San Marco USA
    American Clay
    Litex
    Franklin Stucco has a good smooth finish
    My choice from all the above is Master of Plaster this is most user friendly.All will be high $$$$ but well worth the cost.
    ANY dry wall material over a plaster product WILL FAIL When is the BIG question.

*** Master of Plaster is quite pricey. What type of coverage should I expect with their 4.5 gallon pails? I suppose this is a do it once do it right type job though.

I do have a couple bits of exposed lath and was intending to utilize Big Wally's patching plaster. Any experience with that stuff? I have also read that USG's Structolite is a good base plaster to fill in any voids. Will I need to use a bonding agent with structolite? Big Wally's claims no bonding agent is required for their stuff. Any reccomendations for the specific bonding agent to use if required?

Sorry for all the questions! I just want to do this house some justice!

For Master of Plaster Base estimate 140 sq/ft per pail.
    The finish est. 600 sq/ft per pail.
    Keep in mine that the MOP has no self life keep a little water on top just enough to keep it damp and any left over will remain workable forever.
    For the repair plaster You can use USG Structolite or **** Bond Gypsolite either of these will be less $$ than plaster Magic.
    If your lath is metal than a bonding would only be needed where old meets new.
    If over wood lath use 50% bonding agent & 50% water apply with a misting bottle treat the old to new as above.
    Bonding Agents
    USG 101
    Plaster Weld
    Thoro Bond
    Arcyl 60
    Master of Plaster should have wet samples you can get try it out on a piece of sheet rock or even your existing plaster walls.you will not find an easer product to work with.Tell MOP I told you to call them you will get a sample.

Thanks again Clarance I really appreciate it. Should I expect to skim coat all my walls or should I really only be looking at it as a material for covering up any gauges from wallpaper removal and for finish coating any repaired areas? The plaster that we've uncovered is in otherwise very nice shape.

Do one wall as a patch & skim only the patches.
    Then do a patch and skim the complete wall area My bet is the complete skim will win.
    Do this test in the same room were you can see both at the same time.