+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: I think it is time for a new mower

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    You might want to start here http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/...idential.page? you can get an idea of prices, sizes, options, and optional equipment one new units. The price it shows is usually higher than what a dealer will ask.

Jack

Also, once you know what you're looking for, you can look into the used market. One of the things to figure out is how to tell the difference from "gray market" big box crap and dealer quality machines. My guess is that this information would be discernible within the model/serial numbers. Your dealer should be able to confirm.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I mow 2 tacres/week, and was getting tired and sore from a spending too much time on a riding mower (and I am a big guy). I would endorse a good quality, diesel, compact utility tractor if you can afford it. John Deere (from a Deere dealer), New Holland, Kubota, etc. I spent $11K 10 years ago for an 18 HP New Holland with a 60" deck. It takes me 1/3 the time now to mow my lawn, and I have added a front-end loader and rear blade for all kinds of yard work. Yes, it is expensive, but realize that with 700 hours on it now it is just being broken in and will be running long after I am gone in 25 or 30 years.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougars1996 View Post
    I would endorse a good quality, diesel, compact utility tractor if you can afford it. John Deere (from a Deere dealer), New Holland, Kubota, etc.

Good Luck.
    I grew up with a Kubota B7100 with a loader and rototiller. It was a very hard working machine, never had a breakdown in the 10 years we had it (bought new, sold with the farm ).

You're right, compact tractors are a tad more expensive, but they are also a lot more versatile and capable if that need/requirement of the user.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Let me chime back in here and hopefully add a little sanity. You've been mowing 2 acres with a push mower, any riding mower will be a blessing. I don't think you need an $11,000 tractor for just mowing your lawn. If you are doing serious landscaping and maintaining a large garden, then maybe, but not for just mowing.

The mowers at the big box stores will do just fine. I've been using a 52" cut Murray with a 20hp B&S motor that I bought from Walmart in 1997. The only maintenance it has required is oil changes annually, a set of belts, one blade bearing and a couple sets of blades.

Some things to consider. Tire size, if your yard is bumpy, then larger tires will give you a smoother ride. Cut path and horsepower. If your grass is tough to cut and full of weeds, then you will want a higher hp to cut path. One of the mowers in your link had 22 hp to a 42" cut path. If you cut more frequently and the grass is relatively easy to cut, like a fine blade grass, then the mower below it with the 22 hp and 54" cutting path will save you a lot of time.

The cut path is more significant than most people realize. You will have to have a little overlap on each path and a 6" overlap would be the minimum for most people. So comparing the first two mowers, its really not a 42/54 comparison, the reality is that its more like 36/48. But if you have a tough grass to cut and you have the 54" cut, it may require that you use a much slower ground speed that it ends up taking you longer to finish.

If your yard has few obstacles, turning radius is not that critical, but if you have a lot of landscaping and trees to go around, the zero turning radius (ZTR) will cut your mowing time way down. I don't have a ZTR, but I have heard that they can be difficult on a yard that is not flat, although I have seen some used on some pretty hilly yards. I think that if my Murray ever wears out, I will get a ZTR next time.

As for economics, lets say an $11,000 mower will last you a lifetime and a $2000 mower will only last 10 years. You can put that $11,000 in the bank and use it to buy a new $2000 mower every 10 years. You probably won't spend that whole $11,000 in your lifetime.

Keith has some good points.

If you have a lot of obstacles (trees, bushes, lawn ornaments, flowerbeds) and aren't looking at getting a ZTR, consider getting one with a continuously variable hydrostatic transmission. Having to stop, shift gears, back up, shift to low gear, stop, shift to medium gear gets to be a pain. If you get one with a steering wheel, look for one with pedals rather than a lever for controlling they hydro.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

bernardo78,

...And the winner is...

We are all waiting to hear your decision.

Keith, no one is suggesting that the OP buy an $11,000 lawn tractor. It is just what I bought which is on the high end and includes a commercial deck, but then I mow a lot more than 2 acres. The link I provided is for the 100 series tractors which are far cheaper.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Keith, no one is suggesting that the OP buy an $11,000 lawn tractor.

Jack
    You are not the only one that posted here and referenced a high end commercial duty tractor to replace a push mower. I felt when I read several of these posts that that was what was being recommended. You and the others may not have intended that, but that was the impression I got, and I suspect that I am not alone.

I don't alway get exactly what I mean down in a post on the first try on many occasions and when I feel someone has misinterpreted my post, I go back and reread it and most of the time, I see how they came to that conclusion.

BTW I count at least three other posters I felt were pushing the high end equipment. Obviously, if you need this kind of equipment, then you need it, an MTD riding mower for that kind of work would be about as useful as a "glass hammer" to paraphrase Maggie Smith on Downton Abbey. But a commercial grade tractor for mowing a lawn is like using a jack hammer to drive a thumbtack.
    Last edited by keith3267; 03-03-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    BTW I count at least three other posters I felt were pushing the high end equipment. Obviously, if you need this kind of equipment, then you need it, an MTD riding mower for that kind of work would be about as useful as a "glass hammer" to paraphrase Maggie Smith on Downton Abbey. But a commercial grade tractor for mowing a lawn is like using a jack hammer to drive a thumbtack.
    My only recommendations were:
    1 - Stay away from cheap crap and anything made by MTD.
    2 - Buy the right machine for the job, if that's a $300 push mower, great, if that's a compact tractor, then so be it.

I agree, there's no need to over purchase here, but being the boy scout that I am (always be prepared! ), I know that if I had 2+ acres to maintain, that I'd be at the upper end of the scale when it came to necessities and uses for the machine. Any purchase I make, I spend a lot of time determining how that purchase is going to be used then buy accordingly, I was merely encouraging the OP to do the same.

While the low-end models of popular brands may be manufactured by MTD, they still have to meet standards and specifications set forth by the brands in order to use the label. A low-end John Deere mower will probably perform better than an MTD-made Troy-Bilt (since Troy-Bilt is no longer an independent brand but in fact owned by MTD). The critical difference between manufacturers (MTD vs. John Deere) is not necessarily in the functional design, but in the quality of components: the MTD may have a lighter-gauge deck, smaller bearings, etc.

List of brands manufactured by MTD

P.S. -- John Deere isn't in that list. So far, everything I see that's credible indicates that JD doesn't license their name, though I suppose some manufacturing could be done overseas.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 03-04-2013 at 01:46 AM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.