+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I think it is time for a new mower

Okay everybody. I think I am going to do it. Get a riding lawnmower that is. I've been using a push mower on my yard for the past 6 years. It's not that big of a yard. Probably 2 acres at most. But the more and more I look at riding mowers, the more I really want one. After some searching on the internet I've come across husqvarna a lot. Many reviews say they are good. I saw this mower first. I was also looking at one from Lowe's. That seems to be a good brand name too. I know a riding mower is going to be pretty expensive, but I think I am ready to make the switch.

So my point for coming here is: Has anyone out there made the switch and had a good reaction? Bad experience? I'm hoping everyone will say that they will never look back after getting a riding mower.

Default Re: I think it is time for a new mower

Husqvarna is very good, but I've heard that folks who have John Deere can't stop talking about their mowers. They like to say: "It's the last riding mower you'll ever buy".

Worth checking?

Wait till those folks need a part for their John Deere. My neighbor spent more money just for a fuel pump for his John Deere than I have spent on parts for my older Murray.

I have a Husqvarna high wheel string trimmer and except for the color, it is identical to the Craftsman at Sears, but about $100 cheaper. The main thing to look at is the engine. If you can find one with a Honda engine, it probably would be the best but I don't recall seeing a Honda engine on a rider. Avoid anything with a Tecumseh engine.

We are on our second John Deere riding mower, The last one is still running after 25 years but I can't get a new deck for it which is what is bad now. And it has been used on an average of 10 acres a year. As far as parts go I did replace the seat and it needs a new muffler.

Be warned the John Deere mowers at the big box stores are not the same as the ones sold by JD dealers.

Every one near me that bought Husqvarna riders the last 10 years or so have replaced them.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Here's the thing about consumer level lawn products, 90% of them are made by MTD now, which has bought the rights to most of the common brands of mowers. What this means is that you are paying top dollar for bottom shelf garbage. Even once trusted names are no longer trustworthy, ever hear of Troybilt, Murry, Cub Cadet? Those are now MTD products, and the quality difference is vast. Here's a little clue, if you own an older model of one of these brands, you can no longer get replacement parts for it from the time that MTD took over the brand, that is because MTD changed the designs and quality and does not support older equipment.

As was said earlier, just because John Deere is on the side of it, doesn't mean it's actually made by JD, especially if you purchased from a big box/discount dealer. If you want a quality rider, then go where the pros go and buy a good quality machine. Yes, you're going to pay more for it, but you're going to save in the long run with fewer breakdowns and better performance.

Do your research, spend a little more now on a better piece of equipment and you won't regret it before the warranty dies.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for all of the detailed feedback. I really had no idea about the brand names all being manufactured by the same parent company. Seems like something everyone should know or be told about. I was a little skeptical about some of the pricing on top end mowers. But it seems like I should make an investment in a good product. Not just something shoveled out. Breakdowns and crappy craftsmanship is not the can of worms I am looking for with this purchase. You said "go where the pros go." Where exactly is a place like that? Like a dedicated mower and tractor place?

Yes, find a dealer, stay away from big box suppliers.

I would also recommend that you Google MTD so that you know all the different brands they make and have destroyed. I only mentioned three, there are about a dozen very common brands, and they're all about the same low quality.

When you do go shopping at the dealer, be prepared with questions, such as:
    1 - Basic maintenance/wear item cost. What do parts cost, how frequently do they need service or replacement?
    2 - Ease of maintenance - Is the equipment serviceable by you, are maintenance points easily accessible?
    3 - Ease of use - Is the equipment user friendly, ergonomic, etc. If you don't like it, don't buy it, because you will never be happy with the performance, regardless of how good/bad it is. Make sure the equipment fits you physically, as well as your needs. You said you have roughly 2 acres to mow, that is a lot of mowing and maintenance, you'll want something comfortable and easy to use.
    4 - Attachments - What kinds of attachments are available, such as fertilizer spreader, grass catcher, aerator, dethatcher, trailer, dozer blade. I'm not saying you need all those things, but if you do need them, can you get them and will the machine do what you ask of it?

Last little tidbit, with 2 acres to mow and maintain, you may need more than a riding mower, maybe a compact tractor would be better suited? Again, buying the right equipment for the tasks at hand makes all the difference in the enjoyment and use of your purchase.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I prefer John Deere, even though parts are pricy they are available usually in a day or two. However, as I said stay away from the MTD licensed John Deere mowers and tractors carried at discount stores like Lowes and Homedepot. Parts are not available through JD dealers.

Mine is a 25 horse diesel, replacing a 20 horse diesel that is 25 years old, and yes the price was high $11,000. There are others that are less expensive that would no doubt fit your needs.Friends that have bought other brands at a lower price have spent more in those 25 years on multiple units purchases.

Jack

When I needed to research riding mowers, I looked all over the net and on E-Bay. I joined TractorsByNet (http://www.tractorbynet.com/) forum and found some of the best information out there, plus the knowledge base is exceptional. I decided to purchase an older John Deere 165 (1987) vintage and lucked out. The reason I purchased it was because it was a great mower for 1 to acres and the model range ran from the lower HP 130 all the way up to the 185. Many of the parts are still available and since they are older, many owners and businesses are parting them out so you can still find obsolete items. I was able to find a snow plow that fit it, and I did have to replace the engine after 5 years of real hard service. The engine is going to be re-built this year so I have it on the shelf when needed.

I figured if I only spent $500 on an older model (I lucked out the seller delivered it to me) and it died a terminal death, I wasn't out a lot of cash. I really wanted a newer model but for the cost but it has been so reliable and had very little problems, I can't think of selling it. If I were in the market today, I would not go with any low end brands and would purchase from a local dealership. I absolutely love the new JD 300 series and would want the 320. Its good for heavy duty work and has good reviews.

I found that having the snow blade and a 17 cu ft trailer purchased at Lowes for $179, it is my best investment ever. I've moved about 50 yards of top soil and 24 yards of drain rock and pull my neighbor's heavy chipper shredder without a problem, so my advice to you is, buy something that is strong, can be worked on by a local shop (not the big box stores), that you can get parts for, and that can tow, plow and spread. Check Consumer Reports also for their latest ratings. Also, just surf E-Bay to see what is out there. The more models of the same vintage the better. If you are going older than new, find the model and see what types of parts are available then call a non-local riding mower dealer to find out if the model you are considering still has parts available. Your local dealer may try to discourage you from purchasing older models.

One last note, if you decide on an E-Bay item, depending on your location, many won't ship and only want local pick-ups. Check the seller's ratings and more than likely, your not going to get a warranty. Ask if the unit runs well, blows smoke, cuts well and has all the parts. Most JD sellers will also show the JD ID tag with model and serial numbers on it. Good luck and you will enjoy not pushing the mower anymore.

You might want to start here http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/...idential.page? you can get an idea of prices, sizes, options, and optional equipment one new units. The price it shows is usually higher than what a dealer will ask.

Jack