+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default I think it is time for a new mower

Okay everybody. I think I am going to do it. Get a riding lawnmower that is. I've been using a push mower on my yard for the past 6 years. It's not that big of a yard. Probably 2 acres at most. But the more and more I look at riding mowers, the more I really want one. After some searching on the internet I've come across husqvarna a lot. Many reviews say they are good. I saw this mower first. I was also looking at one from Lowe's. That seems to be a good brand name too. I know a riding mower is going to be pretty expensive, but I think I am ready to make the switch.

So my point for coming here is: Has anyone out there made the switch and had a good reaction? Bad experience? I'm hoping everyone will say that they will never look back after getting a riding mower.

Default Re: I think it is time for a new mower

Husqvarna is very good, but I've heard that folks who have John Deere can't stop talking about their mowers. They like to say: "It's the last riding mower you'll ever buy".

Worth checking?

Wait till those folks need a part for their John Deere. My neighbor spent more money just for a fuel pump for his John Deere than I have spent on parts for my older Murray.

I have a Husqvarna high wheel string trimmer and except for the color, it is identical to the Craftsman at Sears, but about $100 cheaper. The main thing to look at is the engine. If you can find one with a Honda engine, it probably would be the best but I don't recall seeing a Honda engine on a rider. Avoid anything with a Tecumseh engine.

We are on our second John Deere riding mower, The last one is still running after 25 years but I can't get a new deck for it which is what is bad now. And it has been used on an average of 10 acres a year. As far as parts go I did replace the seat and it needs a new muffler.

Be warned the John Deere mowers at the big box stores are not the same as the ones sold by JD dealers.

Every one near me that bought Husqvarna riders the last 10 years or so have replaced them.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Here's the thing about consumer level lawn products, 90% of them are made by MTD now, which has bought the rights to most of the common brands of mowers. What this means is that you are paying top dollar for bottom shelf garbage. Even once trusted names are no longer trustworthy, ever hear of Troybilt, Murry, Cub Cadet? Those are now MTD products, and the quality difference is vast. Here's a little clue, if you own an older model of one of these brands, you can no longer get replacement parts for it from the time that MTD took over the brand, that is because MTD changed the designs and quality and does not support older equipment.

As was said earlier, just because John Deere is on the side of it, doesn't mean it's actually made by JD, especially if you purchased from a big box/discount dealer. If you want a quality rider, then go where the pros go and buy a good quality machine. Yes, you're going to pay more for it, but you're going to save in the long run with fewer breakdowns and better performance.

Do your research, spend a little more now on a better piece of equipment and you won't regret it before the warranty dies.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for all of the detailed feedback. I really had no idea about the brand names all being manufactured by the same parent company. Seems like something everyone should know or be told about. I was a little skeptical about some of the pricing on top end mowers. But it seems like I should make an investment in a good product. Not just something shoveled out. Breakdowns and crappy craftsmanship is not the can of worms I am looking for with this purchase. You said "go where the pros go." Where exactly is a place like that? Like a dedicated mower and tractor place?

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    We are on our second John Deere riding mower, The last one is still running after 25 years but I can't get a new deck for it which is what is bad now. And it has been used on an average of 10 acres a year. As far as parts go I did replace the seat and it needs a new muffler.

Be warned the John Deere mowers at the big box stores are not the same as the ones sold by JD dealers.

Jack
    True. I know a few years ago,while shopping a new JD,the riders from a legit JD dealership had Kawasaki engines,the ones from the big box stores had cheaper Brigs engines.
    I do see decks for sale on E-Bay every now and then. Problem is the shipping charges though. If you're patient maybe one will come up for sale close enough for you to drive and pick it up.

bernardo78,

...And the winner is...

We are all waiting to hear your decision.

Keith, no one is suggesting that the OP buy an $11,000 lawn tractor. It is just what I bought which is on the high end and includes a commercial deck, but then I mow a lot more than 2 acres. The link I provided is for the 100 series tractors which are far cheaper.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Keith, no one is suggesting that the OP buy an $11,000 lawn tractor.

Jack
    You are not the only one that posted here and referenced a high end commercial duty tractor to replace a push mower. I felt when I read several of these posts that that was what was being recommended. You and the others may not have intended that, but that was the impression I got, and I suspect that I am not alone.

I don't alway get exactly what I mean down in a post on the first try on many occasions and when I feel someone has misinterpreted my post, I go back and reread it and most of the time, I see how they came to that conclusion.

BTW I count at least three other posters I felt were pushing the high end equipment. Obviously, if you need this kind of equipment, then you need it, an MTD riding mower for that kind of work would be about as useful as a "glass hammer" to paraphrase Maggie Smith on Downton Abbey. But a commercial grade tractor for mowing a lawn is like using a jack hammer to drive a thumbtack.
    Last edited by keith3267; 03-03-2013 at 12:03 PM.