+ Reply to Thread

Default Adding a thermostatic valve

In anticipation of a child, I am adding a thermostatic valve to a bathroom that features a claw-foot tub.
    Two concerns come up
    1) can the thermostatic valve supply moderated water to both my tub and my sink?
    2) what material should my check valve be made of?
    I have seen brass and PVC and a shark bite valve, but none have been cpvc and that's what my pipes are now.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Default Re: Adding a thermostatic valve

1. Check out Honewell thermostatic valve. It has brass body and union connectors.
    2. There are plastic check valves available.

But you can set your water heater at no more than 105 degrees and you won't worry about scalding.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post

But you can set your water heater at no more than 105 degrees and you won't worry about scalding.
    I thought about that, but since my plumbing is in a crawlspace I have found that in the winter I need to crank the water heater up a few degrees to keep the Mrs happy. Plus you can get some nasties growing in the tank or surviving the trip through the tank if the temperature is kept too low.

I found a mixing valve made in the US the makes me happy, I just need to go to my plumbing supply for the check valve, hopefully they have one in CPVC. It gives me an excuse to put a ball valve to cut off the hot water supply while I'm messing around under there.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

You can install this tempering valve at the water heater or just for one fixture. It also has built-in check valves.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-Wat...4#.UUdOaLAq3D0

John