+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Make your Home More Energy Efficient

Effective insulation slows the rate that heat flows out of the house in winter or into the house in summer, so less energy is required to heat or cool the house. If your house has no wall insulation, and it has more-or-less continuous wall cavities (such as conventional stud walls), blown-in insulation can greatly improve your comfort and save enough energy to be very cost-effective.If your attic is unfinished, it often pays to upgrade its insulation.

Default Re: Make your Home More Energy Efficient

I read this as well. Poor insulation is the leading cause of high heating bills, not bad windows.

You can see which houses don't have proper insulation when it snows, the houses without snow on the roof need better insulation.
    It's tricky with old houses though that don't have wall cavities.
    Replacing windows etc can be really expensive too. We're trying to insulate our house more but it's 130 years old and everything's at an angle, window frames etc so I'm not sure what else we can do.

I agree with you. We need to be always careful about such things in our home. Poor insulation is the reason of high heating bills.

Quote Originally Posted by CPatt View Post
    You can see which houses don't have proper insulation when it snows, the houses without snow on the roof need better insulation.
    It's tricky with old houses though that don't have wall cavities.
    Replacing windows etc can be really expensive too. We're trying to insulate our house more but it's 130 years old and everything's at an angle, window frames etc so I'm not sure what else we can do.
    I have the same issue. 8 dormers, mansard roof, lots of angles. I think our answer is to gut the upper level and spray foam everything, and leave it as cathedral ceilings.

There is no way I am ruining the house with replacement windows, so I'm going to order some high quality storm windows, probably from Harvey through BBRC.

Very old homes built around the turn of the last century or before were often built with true "balloon" construction with unobstructed voids between the studs from the basement to the attic. They were virtual chimneys!

Any insulation works by obstructing air movement and creating dead air spaces, be it little spaces between the glass fibers, in foam cells, or dead air in between the insulated glass. Stop air from moving and you will increase thermal efficiency. However, you don't want to stop moisture from being able to migrate outward and being trapped inside a wall. This is inviting rot. That hundred year old buildings are still standing with little rot, is due to how much air was freely moving inside those walls. Even if it got wet during a rain, it dried out very rapidly.

Modern frame construction closes off the continuous stud spaces, if not for heating reasons, for fire prevention reasons. Fire stops are required by all building codes now. Old balloon framing had full thickness sheathing boards run on the diagonal to provide structural ridgidness and keep the studs from warping. Hey, the country was young and wood was cheap after the invention of the sawmill. True dimension 2x4's were the norm in lengths approaching thirty feet! Old Growth trees were to be had all over the country.

I agree on the point that poor insulation leads to high energy bills as heat tends to be lost through the walls in winter and also get absorbed faster to heat up the interiors during summers. Therefore to improve your home's comfort for both heating and cooling effectively,it is very important to insulate your walls properly. It not only helps to lead a comfortable life but will also go easy on your pocket.

i agree with you

This can be proper use of little spaces between the glass fibers in foam cells and others may have reason of high heating bills. These all things which you have shared over here are really very amazing.

My house was surprisingly well insulated when it was first built back in 1987. When I bought it in 2003, I was quite surprised how well it WAS insulated considering it's age. It had full rows of Pink Panther insulation laid down throughout. I live in South Florida though... so keeping heat in is not the problem, but keeping the heat out.

There are a LOT of seriously weird things that they did in this house... like install the water heater INSIDE air conditioned space. For those of you who live in the rest of the US or that have basements, that seems totally normal. But in Florida, it's probably the dumbest thing you could imagine. Basically, the water heater is doing all it can to maintain a certain hot temperature inside, while the air conditioning is doing all that it can to cool it off. What they should have done is installed it in the garage where the outside heat would literally help keep the water warm anyway.
    Todd