+ Reply to Thread

Question Heat Pump Water Heater

Our electric utility dramaticaly increased rates last fall and our all electric home in Texas is now a lot more expensive. The utility is offering an $800 rebate on a new heat pump water heater. Our older electric is in the attic space over the garage. Our plumber thinks that this area is too dirty for a heat pump. We would also need a new opening cut and framed to get the unit up. The last one required removing the stairs to get a wide enough clearance. The trusses over the existing stairs will not accomodate the height of the heat pump unit. He would like us to install the unit in a corner of the garage just below the current unit. We know he will need to elevate the unit to meet code even though there is no pilot light to deal with! He will need to relocate the recirculating pump and insists on providing a new one and will need to route the condensate. He also needs a metal pan and overflow drain to the outside. His SWAG was over $2K complete. We told him to just drain and disconnect the old unit and leave it in the attic since it is unusable space. (He cannot reuse the old pan either.) That took $150 off for the removal and disposal fee. I've priced the stand and other components and just don't get this figure. I'm still waiting for an itemized estimate. They do good work and guarantee parts and labor for a year but this seems a high price for that insurance. We can recoupe the price of the water heater in a year but the install will not pay off within the life of the unit. Any thoughts on having this installed by the big box store?

Default Re: Heat Pump Water Heater

Big box stores generally are just subbed out to local plumbing companies who do it for less because of all the business the big box brings them but sometimes it can end up costing more I would recommend buying the pan yourself and $2000 to do the work you described doesn't really seam like a bad quote if they are moving piping, electrical etc.. but a year really isn't a great warranty when we do water heater's we supply the heater and we warranty our labor and material for 6 years but I think the real question is how long do you plan on staying in your home because after the first water heater dies you could recoup the cost on the second install which should cost a ton less.

Ben Franklin Plumbing
    372 D St
    Salt Lake City, UT 84104
    (801) 416-3522
    http://www.benfranklinplumbingut.com/salt-lake-city-ut/