+ Reply to Thread

Default Help with lap siding and corner trim

I have an older house that I'm in the process of repainting. This house is single wall construction (common for older homes in Hawaii) with lap siding.

The previous owner did not install a corner board and I would like to install such so that I have a trim to paint (to help give a break in the color).

Is my only reasonable option to simply nail 1x3" strips to the corners and fill in the triangular gaps with caulk? Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Help with lap siding and corner trim

IMHO that is the correct way to install corner trim except you do not caulk the triangles. I do recommend running a bead of caulk down the seam between the two vertical boards.

Some folks go as far as to make one of the vertical boards narrower by the thickness of the other vertical board so the two boards have the same visual width once they are butted at the corner.

What kind of Lap Siding is it and how thick at the bottom? Installing the corner board over the siding will work. The only problem with doing that is insects (spiders) etc will nest in the pocket. It would take a ton of caulk to fill the pocket so thats not a good idea IMHO.

If it was mine I would cut the siding back then install the corner. Build the corner out enough so its out at least a 1/4" past the siding then you can caulk the corner and siding in.

You can pre build the corners and paint them before there installed.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I think you should abandon the idea of corner boards altogether. You have a system that is working and adding the corner boards is just going to compromise this, no matter how it is done unless you remove all the siding, put in the corner boards and any needed framing to support the siding at the corners and then reside the whole thing.