+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof Venting

Default Roof Venting

We are in the Pacific NW and have a low pitch room 2:12 that has had some venting issues. We have a metal snap loc Champion Metal roof on the house installed 3 years ago. We discovered a condenstation problem at the ridge and the roofer who installed the roof just added a ridge vent on our house and we have continuous soffits alredy. The roofer left in place the RVO vents about a foot below the ridge vent. My question is should we cover up the roof jacks or is it ok to leave the roof jacks in place with the ridge vent?

Default Re: Roof Venting

Are you talking about the roof jacks that help you walk on the roof?

Call the roofer and ask him why he left the roof jacks up there if he finished his work.

I am talking about the RVO vents. We now have a ridge vent and about a foot below the ridge vent we have the square mushroom looking vents. 4 of them on the backside of the house. I am wondering if the square mushroom looking vents will mess up proper venting like having a gable vent with a ridge vent would do.

I see no harm in having RV vents and ridge vent.

Is this condensation occurring inside the attic or on the metal roofing?

Sorry, didn't see your question right away. The condensation was at the ridge on the plywood. Few issues going on. The big one that caused the moisture problem was the roofer missed hooking up our kitchen fan exhaust. That issue has been resolved as well as as the installation of a ridge vent, but the roofer seems convinced that leaving the square roof vents in place won't cause additional issues and only help with venting. He said that it might make the ridge vent a little less effective, but we will still have the square roof vents as well so not that big a deal. I am only worried about leaving them in place if it would cause problems which would prevent air from being pulled from our soffits. It has been one disaster after another with this roof installed 3 years ago and I am not sure if I should trust the roofers advice at this point. I read that gable vents and ridge vents are a bad thing, but I wasn't sure if a ridge and roof vents so close to each other would cause much of an issue.

I hope the kitchen exhaust was corrected. If not that is probably causing the condensation problem.
    If the soffit & ridge vent are properly sized the other vents aren't needed. Depending on the prevailing winds theymight short circuit the system.
    Even properly vented roofs will get condensation on the inside depending on the weather.

Exhaust pipe is now connected. Just about to go up in the attic and wrap insulation around the pipe. My gut was saying the roof vents need to be eliminated, but not really the conversation I want to have with the roofer. Is there an easy way to block the roof vents off by covering them with something on the inside or do they have to be removed?

So you want to remove those vents. Knock them off, fill the holes (with backing from rafter to rafter) and finish the shingles.

Anyone have any idea how to test airflow in an attic to see if it is working correctly and having 2 types of venting at the ridge isn't circumventing airflow from the soffits?