+ Reply to Thread

Default Tips/code for electrical outlet in fireplace ?

Hi,

I'm in the process of demolishing parts of an existing fireplace to install an insert. The insert requires a 120v outlet.

Where is the outlet typically put ? Is it recessed in the brick or is a box just left in the back of the fireplace ?

I will be hiring an electrician to install this, but we're doing the demo right now and I was debating taking out some additional bricks to get the power line run in.

Thanks for any pointers !

Ward

Default Re: Tips/code for electrical outlet in fireplace ?

whether the outlet is recessed into the brick or sits on it will depend on how much room you have behind the new FP insert. it's up to your electrician to make sure it's up to code.

Hi MLB,

Thanks for the reply ! We'll have 9 inches behind the insert so it sounds like it doesn't matter.

I went scouring the web for a picture of an outlet in a fireplace and couldn't find one.

We removed enough brick so that we should be able to get to the wall to get over to an outlet. It seems like some people recommend putting a switch in the wall to kill power in emergencies.

Ward

most electricians would just drill a hole from below or from the side right into the fireplace and run some conduit and put in a metal box. that way no bricks have to be removed and if it ever gets removed it's easy to patch up.

Hi MLB,

Thanks again ! I now have a good feeling on how to approach this. The electrician is coming in the morning.

BTW - I had to do the demo to replace black pipe that rotted out due to moisture Either way I had a mason coming in to do repairs.

Ward