+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Rewiring whole house - looking for input

I have just bought a 1 1/2 story 1400 sq ft Brick bungalow built in 1950, a really cute house. I intend on remodeling it and have a question on electrical wiring. I do most of my own work on home remodeling, but have never tackled a whole house rewire before.

3 bedroom (2 up & 1 down); 2 bath (1 up and 1 down and other each other), living room; kitchen; dining room; garage attached by breezeway; & full basement and attic.

Here is my situation (which I don't think is to bad)-

1. The house already has a newer 200 amp service added to it with an extra large capacity electrical panel, so more than enough room for new circuits.

2. House has all old 2 wire circuits and trying to figure out the circuits is driving me nuts. But am working on it.

2a. Oh yeah, I have a mix of old wiring that is aluminum and newer wiring (for refrig and electric stove and electric dryer that is newer) is copper. There is no knob and tube

3. It has full size basement covering the whole house and access to the attic.

4. I am not yet living in the house.

So here's my question:

- I am inclined to disconnect all existing circuits (except furnace at this point) and abandon the old wire in the walls and then take out the old boxes.
    - Put in new boxes and just pull all new wire from the attic for the second floor and up from the basement for the first floor.
    - There was a basement to 2nd floor laundry shoot (so use this to run wires up to attic for second floor rewiring) do I need to enclose the wires (circuits 17 and 18) running up through the house like that?

And setup my own circuits per code. I have until June to finish this so figuring pulling the wire then working on one circuit at a time. I have not done load calculations yet so this may change based on that but here is my thoughts. Any comments?

1 - Bath 1 20 amp outlet circuit
    2 - Bath 2 20 amp outlet circuit
    3 - Bath 15 amp light/fan and upper hallway circuit for both bath
    4 - Dining 20 amp circuit
    5 - Kitchen appliance circuit - 20 amp (even numbered outlets)
    6 - Kitchen appliance circuit - 20 amp (odd numbered outlets)
    7 - Refrig 20 amp (Stove is gas so not putting in circuit)
    8 - Microwave 20 amp
    8a - Range Vent hood 15 amp
    9 - Garbage Disposal 15 Amp
    10 - Dishwasher 15 Amp
    11 - Kitchen & Breezeway lights 15 Amp
    12 - Washer 20 Amp
    13 - Dryer 20 Amp 240 volt
    14 - Lights - Living room, lower Bedroom, hallway and stairways 15 amp
    15 - Outlets - Living room, Lower bedroom, hallway 20 Amp
    16 - Bedroom 1st floor, hallway, stairway to basement 15 amp
    17 - Lights upper Bedrooms/closets upper - 15 Amp
    18 - Outlets upper Bedroom/hallway upper - 20 Amp
    19 - Garage & Breezeway outlets - 20 Amp
    20 - Garage Door Opener - 20 Amp
    21 - Outside Front Light and outlet 20 Amp
    22 - Outside Rear light and outlet 20 Amp
    23 - Furnace
    24 - Water Softener
    25 - Basement lights and outlets East side
    26 - Basement lights and outlets West side
    27 - Whole house attic fan and attic light (No central air; just lots of shade)

Default Re: Rewiring whole house - looking for input

that's alot to tackle so here's my advice. do with it what you will.

find an electrician that's willing to work with you. tell him what you want to do and what's going to go where. you can run all the wire to the outlets/switches and leave them marked and hanging by the panel. then when you're done, have the electrician come in and hook everything up in the panel and install the outlets and switches.

in my opinion, no one but a licensed electrician should do any work inside the panel. not just to make sure things are properly connected but for safety. 200amps is alot of power to get zapped by and if you're spending a day or two inside the panel, the odds of a mistake happening skyrocket.

this way you can save a hell of alot of money but the safety factor will be there when the job is all done.

couple of things i noticed.....disposal is a 20 amp circuit, bedrooms and diningroom (in massachusetts) have to be on an arc fault breaker, dryer is either a double pole 30 or 40 amp circuit, bathrooms can be run on one circuit if you wish with the GFCI being at the beginning of the run.
    Last edited by MLB Construction; 02-19-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Check with your local power company, many power suppliers won't deal with homeowners. They require most of the work done by electricians.

But like MLB said, you may find an electrician who will be willing to work with you, and will let you do things like rough wiring, set boxes, drill holes, etc.

Good advice MLB/Dj, just a few things I might add: changes which will be in the 2014 Code; kitchen and more will require AFCI..the goal will be AFCI w/ GFCI just about everywhere on 15A & 20A SP circuits.

Using the laundry chute for running romex: I would put it in PVC just, in case.

Consider tearing out all the sheetrock (you will save a lot of grief and discover places that should have more insulation)and any 2 wire circuits and any AL branch circuits.

Also, because of the cost of wire and AFCI breakers (15's and 20's cost the same), make all new branch circuits #12 w/g CU and use insulated staples, to be sure you don't drive metal ones too deep.

Don't forget to pre-wire for phone, cable, flat screen TV's, surround sound, smoke detectors and CO (if you have gas stove, fireplace)
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dkellenb View Post

1 - Bath 1 20 amp outlet circuit
    2 - Bath 2 20 amp outlet circuit
    3 - Bath 15 amp light/fan and upper hallway circuit for both bath
    4 - Dining 20 amp circuit
    5 - Kitchen appliance circuit - 20 amp (even numbered outlets)
    6 - Kitchen appliance circuit - 20 amp (odd numbered outlets)
    7 - Refrig 20 amp (Stove is gas so not putting in circuit) Are you certain you won't require 120 volts for the gas stove -- timer clock, etc. ?
    8 - Microwave 20 amp
    8a - Range Vent hood 15 amp
    9 - Garbage Disposal 15 Amp
    10 - Dishwasher 15 Amp
    11 - Kitchen & Breezeway lights 15 Amp
    12 - Washer 20 Amp
    13 - Dryer 20 Amp 240 volt Check the code in your area as I believe this shouild be 30 amp
    14 - Lights - Living room, lower Bedroom, hallway and stairways 15 amp
    15 - Outlets - Living room, Lower bedroom, hallway 20 Amp
    16 - Bedroom 1st floor, hallway, stairway to basement 15 amp
    17 - Lights upper Bedrooms/closets upper - 15 Amp
    18 - Outlets upper Bedroom/hallway upper - 20 Amp
    19 - Garage & Breezeway outlets - 20 Amp
    20 - Garage Door Opener - 20 Amp
    21 - Outside Front Light and outlet 20 Amp
    22 - Outside Rear light and outlet 20 Amp
    23 - Furnace
    24 - Water Softener
    25 - Basement lights and outlets East side
    26 - Basement lights and outlets West side
    27 - Whole house attic fan and attic light (No central air; just lots of shade)
    Kudos for putting the lights on different circuits than receptacles --- that way if something plugged in to a receptacle trips the breaker at least you still have lights.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Two circuits for kitchen outlets that are not dedicated to a fridge or microwave?

I tip my hat to anybody that sets up a kitchen to have two waffle makers running at one time.

The espresso machine pulls a fair amount of power, as does the pannini press.

And don't forget the electric garlic crusher.

You should probably add a circuit for smoke/CO alarms. Bedrooms, furnace and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Condoman View Post
    You should probably add a circuit for smoke/CO alarms. Bedrooms, furnace and others.
    Excellent point.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush