Poll: Would you rather see more real answers and less "joke" answers on "What Is It?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: "What is it?" Segments...a possible improvement?

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Maybe less time watching TV and more time getting that project done and it will not be a concern.
    Congratulations on your 520th TOH forum posting! Maybe less time on the Internet is in order...

Brilliant reply though... and in a forum where we all watch & discuss the same 30-minute weekly TV show.

sparky672

All you have to do is ask http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/SF2500-Pipe-Freezer

It's a show not a training session. Did you guess what it was before they told you?
    Perhaps you need a little whimsy in your life.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    sparky672

All you have to do is ask http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/SF2500-Pipe-Freezer

It's a show not a training session. Did you guess what it was before they told you?
    Perhaps you need a little whimsy in your life.
    Jack
    Yes, it's definitely not a training session but it IS a hands-on "how-to" show. What's wrong with wanting less "yuck-yuck" and more "how-to"?

These are all likable hosts who all have a lot of fun through-out the entire show... I have no problem with whimsy. I just think the corny comedy in the "what is it" segment is WAY over-done.

Obviously we're all going to have different tastes regarding entertainment but this type of show shouldn't contain this much factually irrelevant content.

Thanks for the link to the pipe freezer but my point was only that additional useful information could have been shared instead of the pointless horseplay... even a second tool could have been featured in lieu of the slapstick.

But Sparky, just think how much smarter you feel when you hear their ridiculous answers. Remember it's about items (not just tools) that you may not guess the use when you first see it. Some of the items seem almost as rediculous as their banter.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by sparky672 View Post
    Congratulations on your 520th TOH forum posting! Maybe less time on the Internet is in order...

Brilliant reply though... and in a forum where we all watch & discuss the same 30-minute weekly TV show.

Yeah?........ Well, I've sure been put in my place..... (Looks at the ground with hands in pockets, kicking at small pebbles.)

Actually I have not watched the television program in a couple years.

But you are right, that is for sure. Beating pieces of metal in wood to stick it together is some serious, serious stuff and not to be taken lightly. God forbid any humor.

.......... I'm going to be more serious next week, Sparky, really...... I'm going to contemplate some really serious stuff. I promise. Trix are for kids from here on out...........

Hello again home warriors!

I just checked in on this thread I started a while back and caught up. I can't leave you people alone for a minute can I? LOL

Really, I appreciate the healthy debate. It's interesting to see the voting up, down, and sideways but "some change" still seems to be the majority. Keep on voting!!!

The real reason for *this* post is to clarify my main motivation for writing in the first place and focus the conversation back to centre. While I think there's some merit to all the arguments (safety, confusion, good-natured humour), my *main* point is that it's two (plus an 1/8 outside the line) minutes that could really be put to *better* use. Tommy, you're a great carpenter but really, not even close to a stand-up comic.

If that use is more real items as I suggested, great. If it's more time in the other segments, just as good in my mind. I really do like the humour in the show but not two straight minutes of it when I could be learning something new. The one-liners as they go to break, the joking about Rich's hair (what's left of it) in between takes, always sending Kevin for coffee or making him dig holes for Roger in the yard...that's all fine because it doesn't *detract* from the education. The "What Is It?" jokes do (at least in my mind) and I really think that the audience shrinks when they come on. I'm sure that's not what the producers were aiming for when they came up with the idea.

Keep talking (and hopefully listening Mr. Producers) and good luck with all your projects out there. Remember to wear your safety glasses at all times...especially during really bad jokes!

Cheers,

- Carter

PS. Not the right forum I know but a huge THANKS to Norm for all the years on NYW (just read he was stepping down). Any chance he'll cameo on ATOH? The old shop is just downstairs, right? I assume woodworkers haunt their old workshops for a good while. LOL