+ Reply to Thread

Default How tough is window & door spray foam?

I had new windows & 2 9-foot doorwalls installed right before winter. One of the doorwalls was incorrectly ordered & the replacement is waiting in the warehouse for better weather. I might not be able to get the original contractor to come out to R&R the units as he doesn't feel installing a door that didn't match the print (that he didn't order) is his problem. So I might be doing this myself, with a friend to help with the heavy lifting. All this is backstory to an easy question:
    How tough will it be to pull out the old door with spray foam all around the jambs? It's important I don't damage the door since my arrangement with the warehouse is that I return a sell-able door.

Default Re: How tough is window & door spray foam?

Shouldn't be too bad. Use a keyhole saw with a sawzall blade in it to cut the foam, or a drywall keyhole saw. Ride the framing, not the door jamb and you won't do any damage to the door. Cut the nails and pull them through the jamb and out the back side, this will prevent damaging the face of the jambs. Go slow and gentle with side cutters and a paint stick to protect the back of the jamb and minimize tear-out.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thank you. You feel it's too risky to let the sawzall do the work?

If you are reallllly good with the sawzall you can. If in doubt, then do it by hand. The work is easy with a sharp drywall saw

Just make sure the *shoe* of the sawzall is firmly planted on the frame so it doesn't bounce -- go slow and steady cause when you hit the shims you might get some kick-back.
    Tip --- put masking tape on the metal *shoe* to prevent marking the frame.

Also, once the door is removed there will be foam adheared to the frame --- good luck trying to remove it.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Also, once the door is removed there will be foam adheared to the frame --- good luck trying to remove it.
    That's actually not such a big deal, messy, sure, but not a big deal. A rasp will grind it off, as will a wire brush or wire wheel in a drill.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!