+ Reply to Thread

Default Tub is moving and squeaking! My fault?

1. New alcove acrylic tub placed on mortar bed two weeks ago by plumber.

2. Contractor did not screw tile flange of tub against the studs. Completed putting Hardibacker up around tub surround.

3. Tub was fine a few days ago when I stepped in it.

4. Stepped in tub this am to measure for tile and it moved, squeaked and made much noise.

Could the tub come loose after it was placed on the mortar bed? There is a 1/6 of an inch gap along the edges of the tub and the subfloor. The gap was there even when the tub was not squeaking (the day after the mortar set).

The contractor is blaming the plumber for not having the tile flange screwed in.

What is a housewife to do? Any thoughts? They are going to blame me for this one and I am going to end up spending more money to get it fixed.

Default Re: Tub is moving and squeaking! My fault?

the tub should not move at all. the flange does not necessarily have to be screwed into the studs but it has to be secured to them other wise you will always have issues. if the plumber installed the tub, get him back to fix the problem. also, whoever installed the cementboard around the tub should have picked up on that and fixed the problem.

My properly installed acrylic tub squeaked when the seasons changed. I solved the problem with a bit of foam in the blue can sprayed underneath

Good morning,

Thank you for your input. How would you secure the tile flange against the studs if you are not using screws? Does this mean the cement board that he placed up needs to come down?

Also, since this is luckily an error that was caught early but by the homeowner then who should eat the cost of this? I do not think it is my fault for not catching it before the cement board was put up.

Thank you again.

Did the plumber place a horizontal 2x4 on the wall under the flange, to support the flange?

With such support plus screws into the studs, the tub should rest in one place and don't move. Also, any gap between the tub and the floor can be foam filled like HR mentioned, to add stability. This is very important with the type of tub you have.

Securing the flange to the walls is up to the tub manufacturer and will be in the installation instructions.

The CBU should be attached to the studs and hang slightly above the tub flange OR the studs are furred out and the CBU overlaps the flange. The CBU should not bulge out at the bottom.

You also need some sort of waterproofing, either a surface membrane over the CBU OR a sheet membrane behind the CBU. Your choice.

The trades people have corporate experience: "Admit nothing, deny everything, and blame someone else." Seen it happen everywhere.

[QUOTE=HoustonRemodeler;274985]Securing the flange to the walls is up to the tub manufacturer and will be in the installation instructions.

The CBU should be attached to the studs and hang slightly above the tub flange OR the studs are furred out and the CBU overlaps the flange. QUOTE]

Im with Houston on this one, Who is the mgf and model # of tub?

http://www.menards.com/main/store/20...stal_guide.pdf
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content