+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scaffolding/Pump Jack Reccomendations for Cape

Hi Guys,

I will be adding a Shed Dormer to my 50's cape on Long Island. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good DIY scaffolding/pump jack system? I will be mainly using it on the second floor of the house,

Thanks,

Pat

Default Re: Scaffolding/Pump Jack Reccomendations for Cape

rent one, all tool rental places have them.

I'd rather buy some type of setup. I'd rather not feel like I have to be rushing putting up a dormer because I rented scaffolding.

Unless you have some experience with them, I'd stay away from pump jacks. While they can be safe, they can fail catastrophically if not braced properly or if the pole isn't built correctly. The newer aluminum pole jacks are a huge advancement over the wooden ones and far safer. If you're patient, craigslist has people selling scaffolding from time to time. Just be sure it is all in good shape and that all the parts are compatible- different sizes take different braces and pin sizes can vary too. You're a lot safer with scaffolding versus pump or pole jacks.

Phil

im with phil on this one. if your not use to being up on scaffold the sway of pumpjacks may make you nervous.. regarding wooden ones, locally site built wooden pumps have been illegal for some time all scaffold has to be csa approved.

if your going to buy scaffold check with a rental centre. as per law they can only rent out scaffold for so long before it can be no longer fit for renting out do to saftey.. they often sell it off far before that time comes so they constantley have new staging comning into their stock to avoid any lawsuits
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Great! Thanks for the info. Does anybody have a reccomendations for what type of scaffolding would work for a cape? Any pictures of reccomended scaffolding would be great!

Thanks for all of your help,

Pat

the reason i recommended renting for punp jacks or scaffolding is that they can be very expensive to purchase. a pump jack set up will start at about $1,500 and scaffolding, depending on how many pieces you buy can also run into alot of money. i still think it would be cheaper to rent.

It all boils down to how much use you are expecting to get out of it, after you finish this job.

If the next time you need it is a year from now, rent it, don't buy it. You can rent it for a short period or a long period - I'm sure the rental place will work with you.

if you do decide to rent. DONT RENT THROUGH A BIG BOX store.. they charge considerably more than a rental shop that pros rent through.. and the rate becomes lower the longer you have it for

case in point 5 years ago i bought a fixer upper and had to refinish the hardwoood.. friends of mine did hte same thing.. i was able to rent the sanding equipment and buy the drums and discs needed for $250 ish , it took roughly 3 days to do it.. where as my friend rented through home depot and paid nearly double
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I totally understand what everyone is saying about renting and I appreciate the helpful insight however there is something in my head about renting things. Don't ask my why but it's there...

On that note, I would rather muy a piece of equipiment, use it for however long I need to use it for and then sell it.

Any reccomendations on what I should buy?

Thanks again for all of your help,

Pat