+ Reply to Thread

Default Subfloor under Cast iron tub?

I am replacing a 1920? freestanding claw foot tub with a new TOTO cast iron tub with apron. I believe the weight of the new tub is about the same as the old claw foot tub. The subfloor is 3/4" thick 3-1/4" width tongue and groove 100 year old redwood. After removing the layers of vinyl and linoleum the subfloor appears to be in good condition. The framing is 16" OC. I need to shim the new tub about 1/2" on 1 side to level it.

Do I need to put a piece of structural plywood above the existing subfloor? I will be tiling and using cement board as the under layment for the tile. I don't want too much of a step at the transition from the hallway. thanks.

Default Re: Subfloor under Cast iron tub?

You'll need to find out if the floor joists can handle tile. 3/4" CC grade plywood is ok for joists 19" or less on center. Head on over to the John Bridge Tile Forum and use the handy dandy deflecto-lator linked in the dark blue bar and plug in your information.

The fine folks on the JBTF can help you with every step of the remodel.

After you verify that your joists are OK with the new weight (you need to know their size and span), do the math: tile (about 1/4") plus CBU (about 1/2") - will give you a total of about 3/4" plus the thinset. If you want your tub elevated a bit, lay 1/2" under it, shim it and the new tile will only be about 1/4" higher than the base of the tub.

Make sure your plumbing allows it.

Thank you Houston and dj1. Thanks for the reference to the calculator at the John Bridge site, I'm in good shape with the weight, and I think I'll lay the 1/2" under the tub and shim it.
    Thanks so much for your help.