+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beaver board...

Default Beaver board...

I recently bought a 1865 Second Empire in need of a ton of work. As an easy task I decided to remove some wallpaper and paint a few rooms as an oasis away from bigger project, but then I discovered many of my plaster walls aren't plaster. One room has one beaver board wall, another room has two, a mantle has some panels of it, it seems to pop up everywhere.

What do I do with it? A plasterer told me he can't tape and blend it with the plaster walls because it will just move. Does this mean I need to remove it and replace it with drywall? I can't put this off for the future as we would like to get the house insulated soon, and I have a feeling it would be a bad idea to replace wallboard after having insulation blown in...

Default Re: Beaver board...

It really should come down for a few reasons, mainly for the fire risk.

The blown in insulation will remain together, slightly packed if left undisturbed. The key word is "undisturbed"

There are risks in buying a home this old, and it looks like you opened a can of worms.

Strip the walls down to the framing, do all your necessary electrical, plumbing, built in wiring, insulate (with regular insulation) now, then drywall.

Of all the crap material you are prone to encounter in an old house, beaver board and celotex are two of the crappiest when used for wallboard. Stapled-on ceiling tile is another. You can't work around garbage like that for very long, you are far better off getting rid of it now, wiring and insulating.
    I always suggest using 5/8" rock in old houses because it is twice as substantial as 1/2" but doesn't cost twice as much; better bang for the buck, closer in solidity to the original plaster.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

No better project for "sweat equity" too. Ripping beaver board out is very easy, if messy. If it were a quality product, you wouldn't be considering removing it!

Beaver board is good for bulletin boards. That's about it.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.